Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Overhaul and upgrade to an O-360

Illegal in the Republic of California so unfortunately that makes the lawyers squeamish elsewhere.
    My recent spray can lists methylene chloride but the three quart bucket MSDS lists no chlorides and notes it is legal in California.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    ...Also my new sump came in. You can see the difference where the induction tubes exit it. The old style is only 1-1/2" inside, whereas the new one is 1-3/4" throughout....
    Jason
    By Any chance , do you have the part numbers for the 2 different oil sumps? Or the engine that the later oil sump was taken from?

Post Thanks / Like

78915 Is the new style. Not sure the old style part number.
    I'll look to see if I can get the gunk carb cleaner.

So. Came across a parts engine. Just had to pick it myself. We hooked onto the engine stand and cut the engine loose. Winched it to the road and tossed it in the pickup.
    Cleaned it off, got it on the engine stand and stripped it down. The Maine reason for me grabbing it was for the carb, worth $600 as a core. But I wound up with some other useable parts. Like the new style sump I just bought. Oh well, if anyone wants to upgrade I guess I have one to sell/trade. Other things are the accessory case, which has the old style pump so it would need to be drilled.
    With the sump and accessory case off it looked pretty good on the inside. No rust, although there was some etching on some of the gears.
    All the cylinders came off relatively easy, accept one. It needed some, uh, persuasion.
    I know the crank is junk but I'm beginning to think the case may be ok. I'll get that split in the next couple days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had a friend who bought an O-540 that was still sitting in a field on the spray plane that crashed there 15-20 year prior. He installed grease zerks in one of the spark plug holes and was able to push the cylinders off with a grease gun.

Do you have access to a case splitter. I had my machinist friend make me a set several years ago and it sure does make life easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Had a friend who bought an O-540 that was still sitting in a field on the spray plane that crashed there 15-20 year prior. He installed grease zerks in one of the spark plug holes and was able to push the cylinders off with a grease gun.

Do you have access to a case splitter. I had my machinist friend make me a set several years ago and it sure does make life easier.
    Steve.....will you post photos of the case splitter? I have an O320 that has been sitting for 20 years or more that I need to disassemble. Also, details of using the grease gun to remove the cylinders would be helpful. And I guess I should have started a new thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have a case splitter. Would like to see pictures of one though. The engine I am overhauling I took my time with a small dead blow and worked it open. Plan to do the same here. Didn't think of using grease. Tried a compression tester and shop air, but that didn't do squat. I wasn't too concerned with the heat and beat method as the jug and crank where already toast.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This how I split the last case as well as this one. A little hammer love with a dead blow.
    After some caressing it was ready to pull apart.
    Then once it was opened it was obvious it was put together for an airboat. Looked like silicone on the case flanges and someone wrapped silk around a case stud hole I assume to stop a leak? You can see the witness mark on the landing. But, even though it's not as bad as I thought. I honestly think the case could be overhauled to serviceable condition. Didn't see any stamping indicating previous machining, and there where no cracks that I could detect.
    All in all I think it was a good grab, even if all I use off of it is the carb for a core. 20180430_181820.jpg20180430_185747.jpg20180430_190138.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here are pictures of my case splitters. Screws over the small studs and pushes against the crank journals.
    20180502_081427.jpg20180502_081443.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

It is busy season here inb Cordova. First opener of the fishery is next Thursday so I've been busy with trucks and boats helping folks get there gear ready. But I still managed a bit of airplane work just the same. Sandblasted some parts. I've always found something about very satisfying albeit tedious. Best part was I found real zinc chromate in town! Even if it was $53 a quart. I mixed it two to one with toluene and it layed down nicely.20180505_141107.jpg20180505_142111.jpg20180505_182630.jpg20180505_182207.jpg20180506_104032.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question.
    Do I see cylinder base nuts there in your zinc painting picture?
    I ask because I’m Trying to remember here on the warning about paint between cylinder base flange and cylinder base nuts causing sheared case studs. IIRC you can paint them after assembly