Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: landing as short as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: landing as short as possible

I've been practicing this as well as like it. It sounds like the person who came in short and damaged his aircraft had two problems. First, he may have encountered an unexpected down draft. The second is he was practicing over an actual obstacle. I am fortunate enough to have a grass strip (2500ft) next to our paved strip that has about 300 feet of gently sloping grass before the numbers and a gentle slope at the end to practice on.

the technique is a power off landing which we should practice anyway. In my case my stall speed is 47 MPH. Therefore my over the numbers speed (stall x 1.3) should be 62 mph. The POH say 75-80. I've found that I can cut the power, trim to 65 and just glide in. If I'm short just add a little power. The flare is the most difficult to get right but not dangerous. I'm making it a habit to land this way all the time. As the article in backcountry notes;"is there a reason to use different, faster speeds on downwind and base?

Post Thanks / Like

last friday the temperature finally came up to minus eight celcius from minus thirty , the runway at the club had a twenty five foot wide area cleaned for twenty five hundred feet. Kerry the owner of the tri pacer is a new low time pilot with only about sixty hours on type,on the take off roll i noticed that the airspeed was not reading right , i told Kerry to follow thru on the take off as the runway was snow covered and we might have run into more problems aborting the take off , we climbed out normaly i told himm not to touch the trim as it was set for the previous landing on the last flight ,and told him to do a normal circuit ,well his landing was a little hot but the touchdown well within the first third and we easilly rolled to a stop within eight hundred feet . i asked him how he felt flying without a proper airspeed , he said he was nervious at first but more comfortable after the landing .i have been mentoring his flying since he bought his airplane and whenever he goes flying he alway shoots a few extra circuits , he followed the number one rule no mater what happens fly the airplane and don t panic . i used to own a citabria and the pitot tube froze up a few times , all it takes is a drop of water , thats when it would be nice to have a heated one .

Post Thanks / Like

Vacuum hose and lips.....to check. That is, stick a vacuum hose on the pitot. One person watching the airspeed indicator. Pressurize and stick you tongue to hold pressure. A hand operated brake bleeder vacuum pump works...just put the vacuum hose on the discharge port. The airspeed indicator should stay put with pressure. If it doesn't you have a leak....I had three leaks. Had to replace the aluminum line front the wing root to the instrument. The plastic tubing had to be shortened at each connection...cracked. I discovered my landing airspeed just short of the runway threshold was a hair over 60 mph.
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

"last friday the temperature finally came up to minus eight celcius from minus thirty" - I didn't think I would ever say this Rocket, but at the moment I'd swap yah!

We are just going into our fifth day of 40c plus days (yesterday 44c). I live close to the coast, so we normally get a sea breeze at night to cool things down a bit. But when I got up for a leak at 3.00am this morning, it was still 35. Bloody bushfires everywhere - "Student Pilot" is fire bombing about 300k west of here. He will be working his butt off this week.

Post Thanks / Like

minus eight celcius felt like summer compared to minus thirty , but our summers can be hot too , i flew ten years crop spraying and fire suppresion and the hotest i remember is plus thirty seven ,luckily the at 502 had ac , i also flew the airtractor 802 f for two seasons later when we went into our wetter cycles the 802 was sold and went to australia,the 802 is a large heavy airplane and has to be landed with a stableised approace ,carrying a few extra knots can lengthen your landing distance by hundreds of feet

Post Thanks / Like

I just read through this - pretty interesting to see the different perceptions of short and how to do it best. I am toying with the new bird and trying to get it all figured out. I have about 2.5 hours in it so far and by no means have it figured out.

Is anyone flying it in with 2/3+ throttle, nose in the air and around 45mph? Based on my slow flight testing it would be doable if you don't mind hanging on the prop.

There doesn't seem to be enough hp/prop to really arrest the sink and I've had some bounced go arounds trying to fly it like my Maule. 500' seems pretty easy but very little margin for error to try to be in the 300-350' range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I was flying my Pacer on Bushwheels in and out of gravel bars the slowest I could land was using power and a tail low landing. It is a lot harder than doing it in a Super Cub. Bender and I were discussing this on Sunday.
    20170820_111217.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 08-22-2017 at 06:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's the way I flew the the Maule. At my place, I've got some trees on one end and you have to get over, chop the power and get it down (only 1000') without any time to float it or you'll end up in the fence. When I chop the power and yank on the yoke, here is no elevator or energy left when you meet the ground and adding power is not a quick arrest like it was before. That's what am I working on figuring out, how to get it settled without floating or bouncing. I think I may just have to accept that it's not on bushwheels and let it float for a second and don't just plant it.

Post Thanks / Like

Get the nose high if you can and land tailwheel first as Bender did above. In my experience landing tailwheel first the airplane will not bounce. My wife always comments negatively when I do that.