Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: landing as short as possible

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: landing as short as possible

Do you have gap seals between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator? It will give you more elevator authority. I noticed it made quite a difference on my Pacer. I also have them on my rudder.

Juergen
    N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Tail first isn't an issue, it's obstructed so you aren't just slow flighting it in like in the video. Apples to oranges in what I am referring to.

Post Thanks / Like

What about slipping it in over the trees? That way there's enough airspeed to arrest your sinkrate so you don't bounce.
    I would think if the timing is right, you could land with minimum speed to keep the group droll short.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have 50' trees right on the end of the runway. I come over the trees at 65 and as Jason says, slip it it in. I constantly am stopped 1200' from the base of the trees, or less depending on the wind, and NO flaps.
    I imagine the Pacer won't slip as well due to the short ailerons but they do have flaps.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I have 50' trees right on the end of the runway. I come over the trees at 65 and as Jason says, slip it it in. I constantly am stopped 1200' from the base of the trees, or less depending on the wind, and NO flaps.
    I imagine the Pacer won't slip as well due to the short ailerons but they do have flaps.
    Reminds me of landing at Marianna on the way to Sun & Fun one year in bad winds and I slipped my Pacer over the pine trees and FBO onto the taxiway.
    Screenshot_2017-08-22-17-02-05-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

The medavac pilot saw you come over the FBO hangar roof and before I could stop him he said "he is going to crash" and broke the emergency medical crew in the FBO. STEVE rolled about 50 feet into that wind and was taxing back before the emergency crew got out of the building.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    Do you have gap seals between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator? It will give you more elevator authority. I noticed it made quite a difference on my Pacer. I also have them on my rudder.

Juergen
    N3342Z
    I want to order some... As far as slipping it in, I don't know that I gain anything with as short as the distance is between the trees and runway but I may tinker with flying it even steeper than I am in a full slip. I just don't know how much I like being cross controlled, nose high with the yoke in my lap.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my point is being misunderstood though - down in 500' isn't an issue. I'm trying to figure out how to get to 300'. That being said, other than a STOL comp I guess it doesn't matter since TO is the more limiting factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never slipped an airplane with anywhere close to full elevator. How long is your runway? Use to slip my Clipper onto gravel bars. Fly up and I will show you how I fly it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TxAgfisher View Post
    I think my point is being misunderstood though - down in 500' isn't an issue. I'm trying to figure out how to get to 300'. That being said, other than a STOL comp I guess it doesn't matter since TO is the more limiting factor.
    It is a Pacer, get comfortable in it and know your and the airplanes limits. Only time I had an issue getting my Pacer out is when I was getting I water skied up on a gravel bar and for got to dump flaps before taking back off. Went to pull flaps at the waters edge and they were already out. Didn't end well. They are good airplanes but they have limits. My Super Cub is way easier to do short stuff than my Pacer but what I paid for a beater SC would buy me one of the nicest Pacers out there.