Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Eternal Alternator Choice Topic

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If you convert to a Sutton exhaust system, you will have lots of room to move your battery to the firewall in the engine compartment. The field approval needs to have the battery box meet load requirements. Then I moved my ignition to the panel. This saved weight by shortening all the battery cables. Keeping the high amperage cables in the engine compartment is a good thing. Also, my internally regulated alternator stays below 15 volts, which is acceptable to an Earth X battery, I monitor my battery voltage especially on start up.
    I don’t think Sutton exhaust works on an O235 PA-16. EarthX says to keep the battery out of high heat areas, but if yours works there great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    I don’t think Sutton exhaust works on an O235 PA-16. EarthX says to keep the battery out of high heat areas, but if yours works there great!

The temperature Earth X warns about is 200 degrees. The firewall should be OK. Mine has been in for almost 4 years. It still cranks like new. Im not sure how I would feel about a litium battery under the seat. Remember, they are lithium Iron, not Ion. And, are not as likey to over heat. I recently contacted Earth X about proper jump starting technique. They said I could use any jump started if the battery went dead. Although, hand propping works fine. Time to upgrade to an 0-320, lol.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The O-235 exhaust is identical to the O-320 except for the rear seat heater muff. Until I put the Sutton on my O-320 Clipper I was using the original 0-235 exhaust system.
    In fact I would like to sell it. It has been overhauled by Dawley and has the baffle bale in the exhaust pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an earthX (for about 5 years or so) and an internally regulated Plane Power alternator. Battery is mounted on the cabin side of the firewall. Lithium iRon means low risk for that chemistry of battery.

Post Thanks / Like

KitPlanes magazine had a very good good article on converting an internally regulated alternator to external regulator. Sometime in the past 12-18 months.
    https://www.kitplanes.com/rewiring-a...so-alternator/

Sent from my D5503 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    KitPlanes magazine had a very good good article on converting an internally regulated alternator to external regulator. Sometime in the past 12-18 months.
    https://www.kitplanes.com/rewiring-a...so-alternator/

Sent from my D5503 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Now I just need to find a copy of that issue. You need to be a subscriber to view it on the web.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a good article on the Earth X battery that was in Sport Aviation sent to me by Earth X.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K...w?usp=drivesdk

Post Thanks / Like

Default B&C Alternator

Does anyone know if you can install the B&C alternator with the original hard oil lines to the oil cooler? I saw in some older threads that other alternator installs did require flex lines but could not definitely answer if this was also true for the B&C.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: B&C Alternator

I did it on a wide deck. I wouldn't think it would be any difference on a narrow deck engine either.
    IMG_20181121_192814.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: B&C Alternator

Thanks for the photo! I have a narrow deck and based on your photo it looks like it should fit. Am I right to assume that the black bracket that replaces the original oil cooler bracket is included from B&C?