Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Weight & Balance worksheet for PA22-150/160

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    So, why isn't anybody commenting? Do all of you ignore your weight and balance like I did? How many of you have weighed your planes in the last 3 or 4 years or so. 2020 was when ADSB became a mandate. 65 year old planes....I think you're all fat and don't want to admit it. Porky, porky, porky fat. Everybody just sort of within bounds and hoping for the best?? Come on, I want to know some real empty weights. I showed you mine...
    My PA22/20 is 1155.7lbs without the rear seat(-23lbs). It was weighed (with and without the rear seat) in 2013 when it had some work done and the fuse recovered. It was 1210 then, I’ve been whittling it down over the last couple years. My final goal is less than 1100.
    Last edited by moto657; 07-12-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Having reweighed several rag and tube Pipers I have a hard time believing the original empty weights. A friend who modifies Cessna 182s says you never reweigh a Cessna cause you limit your useful load.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    My PA22/20 is 1155.7lbs without the rear seat(-23lbs). It was weighed (with and without the rear seat) in 2013 when it had some work done and the fuse recovered. It was 1210 then, I’ve been whittling it down over the last couple years. My final goal is less than 1100.
    How did you get it down to 1178.7 from 1210? Just the fuse recover?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    How did you get it down to 1178.7 from 1210? Just the fuse recover?
    No. 1210 was the weight after the recover.

The weight loss was from:
    1. -6.9lb ERZ 8012 starter.
    2. -17.9lb Remove wheel pants/hardware and change 6.00 6 ply tires to Desser smooth 8.50s.
    3. -5.5lb Removed Apollo 2001/360 Map GPS units and wiring.
    4. -1.0lb Replaced Interav VR, OVR, and capacitor with Plane Power voltage reg and cleaned up the wiring.
    Last edited by moto657; 07-13-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realise that Ceconite with a butyrate finish could weigh that much more than the original cotton and dope that Piper used.
    I think I have accounted for every single thing different on my PA17 Vagabond compared to when it left the factory.
    Still can't account for about 30 lb....
    I think Piper used special weighing scales!
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    I didn't realise that Ceconite with a butyrate finish could weigh that much more than the original cotton and dope that Piper used.
    I think I have accounted for every single thing different on my PA17 Vagabond compared to when it left the factory.
    Still can't account for about 30 lb....
    I think Piper used special weighing scales!
    TonyN
    If you figure that most people use about double the tapes that Piper used and Piper only put about 8 coats of dope it’s easy to see how a job that uses 2 or 3 extra rolls of 2” or 3” tapes and 20 coats of dope to fill the weave will weigh 30 lbs more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All -
    Why is it that almost every W&B sheet I see has the arm adjusted to the W.L.E. (wings leading edge) rather than leaving it from the original datum point? When I use the W.L.E. sheet, I show out of W&B much lighter than I should be. I'm not sure why. I've checked the math and calculations several time. When I use the original Datum point I can load another 60 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

The wing leading edge is the datum point on my airplane according to the original W&B.
    Piper used 60” in front of the wing leading edge in some documents. I guess to make the math easier for people not used to working with negative numbers. They then subtracted 60” from all the numbers to arrive at the CG.
    Using the WLE as datum, the Arm in front of the leading edge is negative and aft of the leading edge is positive.
    Then you after add positive and negative numbers to arrive at the CG.
    Using either of the above methods you arrive at the same CG.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-21-2023 at 01:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mholton63 View Post
    All -
    Why is it that almost every W&B sheet I see has the arm adjusted to the W.L.E. (wings leading edge) rather than leaving it from the original datum point? When I use the W.L.E. sheet, I show out of W&B much lighter than I should be. I'm not sure why. I've checked the math and calculations several time. When I use the original Datum point I can load another 60 pounds.
    If you are doing it correctly they should both be the same. Doesn't really matter where you put the datum as long as all moments are calculated using the SAME datum. What screws up a lot of folks is that they will mix up the datums, some will be based on the leading edge and others will be based on 60" in front of the leading edge. I find it best to go to the TCDS and use the arm published in the TCDS. If there isn't an arm listed, then level the airplane, drop a plumb bob and mark the floor with chalk at the leading edge and the location in question and take a tape measure.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been working on a spreadsheet to facilitate the W&B of my 58 PA-22-160. If anyone would like to critique my Weight & Balance Spreadsheet, I'd be glad to share it. Just shoot me an email @ norman.fillion@gmail.com