Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Steve,

Thanks! Looking forward to installing the SkyBeacon and seeing how it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have another sheet of material on the way. Giving my 15 year old son a job. Here is the template.
    Are you going to have these for sale? If so I could use 2!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I thought it was posted here. https://uavionix.com/support/skybeacon/ Don't find it. I would email them, they get back to you within a day. It did say it work with fiberglass droop tips but not carbon fiber.
    Sent an email this morning and got a phone call this afternoon. Pretty impressive. Very pleasant and helpful conversation. Basically said I would simply need to install spacers so that the blade antenna wouldn't touch the curve of the fiberglass wing tip and add that to the text of the 337. No concerns about the fiberglass blocking any radio/GPS signals. We also talked about the strobe and how to wire that to bypass the Whelen high voltage power supply but still operate their strobe. All pretty easy.

Steve, sounds like I might be needing a few of those spacers you talked about above. That is when I save up my nickels and dimes to buy the Skybeacon thru you.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, Steve, that's probably the way I'll go when I get to that point. I have a KT76A in 57A now; do you know if that will interface with the Skybeacon without any other parts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walt.buskey View Post
    Ditto, Steve, that's probably the way I'll go when I get to that point. I have a KT76A in 57A now; do you know if that will interface with the Skybeacon without any other parts?
    Walt,

i just eneded a several day conversation with my mechanic concerning ADS-B vs the GDL-82. If I were to install the GDL-82, my local avionics shop highly recommended replacing my 76A with at least a rebuilt GTX-327. He had many examples where the GDL would not speak to an older unit like the 76A. Overall installation would have been 1800 for GDL, 600 for the used GTX and 2000 for installation and 100 dollars in parts. With the FAA rebate, just at 4K.

Went back to my mechanic, he can purchase the sky beacon for 1600. I asked about replacing my 76A. He said to leave it. It’ll last a long time and it’s compatible with sky beacon. Now that UAvionix has released the right wingtip fin and lights, I’ll finally have ADSB compliance and LED strobe and position lights.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I hate it when people try to up sell. How do you REBUILD a an electronic device with surface mount integrated circuits; clean up the face plate?
    Yes the 76 has a maganetron and 327 has a solid state transmitter. I haven’t seen mass failures of KT76’s.
    I think your mechanic gave you good advice.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-15-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In my conversation with the tech at uavionix he explained a little about how the skybeacon interfaces with the transponder. I assumed that it intercepted the transponder info out of the air. However, he explained that the skybeacon uses a unique approach. Basically (and I may be butchering his explanation) that information is captured via the power wires coming into the skybeacon. As long as they are on the same power bus, the skybeacon reads that transponder signal off of the power supply . That's why the skybeacon doesn't need to be spliced into the transponder antenna cable like other units. That makes sense because if you simply pulled the transponder info out of the air how would it know that it was reading YOUR transponder. Pretty ingenious that they figured it out. I guess that there's a setting/number in the uavionix setup screen that dials that in. Their approach might make the transponder compatibility easier and wider ranging.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by smcnutt; 03-15-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I thought I had heard somebody said the Skybeacon could be installed on a Droop Tip but I can't find that answer. Maybe I had heard that someplace else.

Anyway, here's a picture of our Droop Tip. I doubt the fiberglass would interfere with the radio signals. However, the concern would be physical interference on mounting. Opinions from those who installed one?

Attachment 14948
    I have the same tips and bought a Sky Beacon from Steve. I plan to install it with a spacer and will let you know how it works. Now I’ve got to figure out the best way to make a spacer.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about the spacers Steve talked about earlier in this thread. That or take the mounting drawing (also above) and making one based on that.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ordering mine in April. Spacer issue is next!

Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org