Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

But don’t put the zip ties directly on the tubing, it will cut right through the steel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Tail beacon is not gonna be a simple install on our rudders unless you cut and weld.
    Attachment 15001
    So the body of the tail light is larger than the hole? Would it be acceptable to open up the hole with a dremel? It doesn't look that far off size wise.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Way off and it's structural. No way other than a spacer. I'm working on one. Still have some shaping to do. So far it's down to an once and a half. Probably wait till the unit is available to finish shaping. Have to weigh an original tail light and see what the weight difference will be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Green; 04-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Installed the skyBeacon on my Pacer wingtip last weekend. My plane has the sheet aluminum fairing on the tip bow like the Tri-Pacer in post #4. The skyBeacon almost fit in the light fairing, but it was a little too tight. I made a spacer out of 3/16” plexiglass that worked out well. Configuration was pretty easy using a iPad. Got in a flight and the performance report has some red boxes in the NIC column. Need to call uAvionix for guidance.

Don Broussard
    PA22/20-150
    KARA

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Next issue is to do something with the post lights. In my plane they come on with the Nav lights which have to be on all the time now with the skyBeacon. They are hot to the touch. I searched but can’t find any reference to converting these to LED. Any other suggestions?

Don Broussard
    PA22/20-150
    KARA

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Or rewire just your skybeacon wire to a separate circuit breaker and leave the other nav lights wired with post lights as they are.
    Then make sure the skybeacon is ON all the time and turn on your other nav lights as necessary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    Or rewire just your skybeacon wire to a separate circuit breaker and leave the other nav lights wired with post lights as they are.
    Then make sure the skybeacon is ON all the time and turn on your other nav lights as necessary
    That certainly is a option. One reason to go with the skyBeacon was not having to run a power wire from the panel to the wingtip. My post lights have their own breaker. I can just leave it out in the daytime.

Don B

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

On the TailBeacon with a spacer, that's gonna see a lot of action flapping around back there.
    If this were my $2000 gadget out on the tail, I might use drilled-head screws and safety wire to add confidence it will arrive with the airplane after each flight.

Keep us posted on your progress, this is a good discussion and some creative ideas!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Question for Steve Pierce, thought I read somewhere you were selling the Uavionics ads-b. If so, I’m interested. Thank you. Richard, Pacer 15p