Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Just saw this on General Aviation news.
    I wonder if we should go ahead and order early. The price seems reasonable.
    http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/...20/#more-93355

Yes this is what I am talking about. When we get closer some company will jump out the darkness and come up with plug and play through a modem that you buy from Google Avionics for $29.95. OR one of the biggies will finally step in and built something for your tablet(IPAD/Microsft) for some unbelievable price, like $100. bucks....technology is progressing faster than the system can keep up. I live in this world everyday at CBP HQ.

Lloyd
    Still waiting....LOL

PS...."Love your Tri-Pacer like you've never loved before, and she will rain down happiness on you daily"......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleavn View Post
    Yes this is what I am talking about. When we get closer some company will jump out the darkness and come up with plug and play through a modem that you buy from Google Avionics for $29.95. OR one of the biggies will finally step in and built something for your tablet(IPAD/Microsft) for some unbelievable price, like $100. bucks....technology is progressing faster than the system can keep up. I live in this world everyday at CBP HQ.

Lloyd
    Still waiting....LOL

PS...."Love your Tri-Pacer like you've never loved before, and she will rain down happiness on you daily"......
    I guess I don't see the "Big Whoop" over this device and it's price. All conversation here in the past was talking about $4,000 to $5,000 for a full up ADSB system. What is the big deal about advertising an ADSB-Out only system for $2,000.00. Half capability for half price is hardly something to break out the brass band for. The price of the transmitter and receiver for ADSB is only part of the battle. Remember also, FAR 91-217 says that for aircraft equipped with both a transponder and ADS-B Out , altitude for ADSB-Out and for the transponder has to be derived from the same source. That means you need Grey code split from your existing encoder to go to ADSB (extra installation cost) or else buy a new encoder that has Grey code and Serial output for the UART (about $300.00). On those issues, no advertising is fessing up to installation costs, I did a "straw man" request for a quote from a local avionics shop and they quoted 10 hours @ $85.00 per hour plus $125.00 for Encoder and transponder re-certification. So, do the math, and you are looking at equipment cost ($1995.00 + sales tax) plus possibly $1300.00 for installation and the cost flirts real close to $ 4,000.00 and you only have ADSB-Out. I still feel that we should be pursuing that if only communicating with a Tower, and/or VFR squawking 1200 then ordinary mode C encoder is all that is needed.

Post Thanks / Like

If the FAA MEETS THEIR 2020 deadline I believe it will be the first time they ever came close to making a deadline. Remember the microwave ILS system among others.

I am taking a wait and see attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Google will be your friend!
    http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...market-410473/

Tony N

Post Thanks / Like

And the airlines start crying...

http://m.aviationweek.com/mro/airlin...ads-b-out-rule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Here again Let me say that the Navy has done NOTHING ABOUT ADS-B. Son is a pretty Big Deal Captain in Training Command. NO MONEY NO PLAN to do a thing. Yes they fly the System but don't give a hoot about ADSBS.
    I have not seen a thing where they are exempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Military is exempt under Public Use. Their aircraft are not certified or inspected to FAA standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Military is exempt under Public Use. Their aircraft are not certified or inspected to FAA standards.
    So if that is true they will be the only ones flying in the system without ADS-B How can that work. When they get IFR clearance they are in the system.
    The FAA states ALL aircraft will have ADS-B to fly where it is required.
    Show me where it says EXCEPT Military.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Prove to me they can't, Look up the regs for public use. I flew all around the country both military and law enforcement and never had a pilots license. I knew a individual flying a government aircraft and took off from a international ap without clearance and the only thing the gas could do is send a letter to his superior.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...AC_00-1_1A.pdf

This is the AC that explains it. Basically if a rule says "civil aircraft" it doesn't apply to government owned. That is a lot of them. I remember the state of North Dakota fins & feathers airplane out in really lousy weather, flying vfr.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member