Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

I see the GDL82 requires a squat/airspeed switch to disable the unit on the ground.
    It is not included in the kit. I WAS WRONG-NOT REQUIRED. COZZMO81 is correct. See next post.

Evidently this is not required for Part 121 operations. When FEDEX is warming up on the ground at MEM you cannot se the airport on ForeFlight because of the stationary traffic signals.

KEEP WATCHING AND REMEMBER THE NAVWORX PROBLEM: approved and shipped and then the FAA changed its mind.

From Aircraft Spruce
    Has the Garmin GDL-82 received final approval for installation from the FAA, the Garmin website does not make that clear?
    The Garmin GDL 82 has not yet received final approval. The units will be shipping as soon as that is complete, which is expected this month.

What does the 10 harness option include? Just a 10ft power/ground cable, or the required GPS Antenna to GDL82 cable, and Transponder Antenna to GDL82 cable as well.
    The GDL82 harness includes - power/ground, RS232, USB dongle, anonymous mode, and squat switch provisions. It does not include an antenna cable.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-16-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I read the install manual and the wiring diagram it looks like the squat switch is optional equipment. Under the system configuration section it says under Stall Speed to "Set the stall speed for air/ground determination to the value of aircraft landing configuration stall speed (Vs0)." I am guessing the software is using this value to turn on and off the unit. There is a Note number 9 on the wiring diagram that says OPTIONAL INSTALLATION: THESE INPUTS MUST BE CONFIGURED IF INSTALLED. REFER TO SECTION 7 FOR CONFIGURATION SETTINGS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I see the GDL82 requires a squat/airspeed switch to disable the unit on the ground.
    It is not included in the kit

I do not understand why the FAA requires this. What is so difficult about disabling the transmitter if the GPS shows no speed? I can’t type an address into my wife’s car navigation system if the GPS tells the system the car is moving.

Evidently this is not required for Part 121 operations. When FEDEX is warming up on the ground at MEM you cannot se the airport on ForeFlight because of the stationary traffic signals.
    Gilbert, my GTX335 doesn't have a switch but it (allegedly) knows when I'm on the ground. I have the install manual and helped the IA with the programming, I'll see what it says. It isn't just FedEx that shows on the ground because I see everybody on the ground at KSTL.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Landreth View Post
    Just picked up the plane that was in the shop for GPS/ADS B In/Out upgrade. Flew a bit and called Center and asked if they were ADS B Capable and if so could we get a verification of
    our transmission. They said sure they could. but it would be 10 minutes or so because they had to turn it on first. 2020 may not be as close as we think.
    Old comment but I had some "movement" on this. STL approach doesn't seem to use it but the non Class B towers in the area I've talked to apparently see it on their BRITE scope. I always say "Pacer" on the radio but they always say "Tri-Pacer" since that is what the FAA code is for my airplane.

Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Gilbert, my GTX335 doesn't have a switch but it (allegedly) knows when I'm on the ground. I have the install manual and helped the IA with the programming, I'll see what it says. It isn't just FedEx that shows on the ground because I see everybody on the ground at KSTL.

Jim

Jim, is your GTX335 ADSB-out compliant? I know all of the ADSB-out units Steve has installed required an airspeed switch.

The reason I called out FEDEX is because the only class B or C airport I go near is Fedex International Airport at Memphis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Jim, is your GTX335 ADSB-out compliant? I know all of the ADSB-out units Steve has installed required an airspeed switch.

The reason I called out FEDEX is because the only class B or C airport I go near is Fedex International Airport at Memphis
    According to the manual it is and the Feds gave me the $$$

Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Garmin just shuts its traffic off the sensible way on this unit; no gps speed it is on the ground. Duh!

Post Thanks / Like

Multiple places in the manual deal with it but here is the most definitive answer.

Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft Spruce says no airspeed switch is required. I re-read the installation manual and they are correct.There are provisions for it if you want one. My goof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious about the airspeed switch. I was told by an FAA engineer it was a requirement. I know it is a part of the STC on the Trig transponders. I will have to investigate this further.