Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast

Thread: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ADSB-Out . . Creeping toward 2020

Back in March I made a flight to test the ADS B and received a perfect report. The flight was in the DFW area. I just spent half a day today trying to troubleshoot why I had an unacceptable report on a flight made Sunday until it just occurred to me that 1/3 of the cross country flight (well outside the Class B Airspace) was conducted at a lower altitude (below 3000) in an area of poor coverage. Am i correct that the intermittent to no reception would result in a unacceptable report, specifically the mode 3A?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I had the same experience. I don’t believe the FAA is fully operational yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I flew for 48 minutes today. Flight Aware, I assume from ATC only got about 20 minutes of it. This all inside the Mode C ring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    I flew for 48 minutes today. Flight Aware, I assume from ATC only got about 20 minutes of it. This all inside the Mode C ring.
    I checked FlightAware and it tracked you from 10:02 -10:55 CDT. I can email a screen cap of your track and track file if you like.

Keep in mind that FlightAware has a private ADS-B network. They get radar data (filtered and delayed) from the FAA, but the FAA doesn't own the ADS-B network from which they get their data. The network is leased from Harris Excelis (formerly ITT Excelis). Excelis has the right to resell the data to third parties and Flight Aware isn't interested in that. Thus they developed a private ADS-B network that is "crowd-sourced."

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like all of the rebates have been reserved.
    https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6PapaWhiskey View Post
    I checked FlightAware and it tracked you from 10:02 -10:55 CDT. I can email a screen cap of your track and track file if you like.

Keep in mind that FlightAware has a private ADS-B network. They get radar data (filtered and delayed) from the FAA, but the FAA doesn't own the ADS-B network from which they get their data. The network is leased from Harris Excelis (formerly ITT Excelis). Excelis has the right to resell the data to third parties and Flight Aware isn't interested in that. Thus they developed a private ADS-B network that is "crowd-sourced."

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    I signed as a basic user for Flight Aware but the search feature for finding my flight eludes me?

Post Thanks / Like

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A
    Thats good to know. I thought Flight Aware got the data from the FAA.
    The information on my flight or lack there of came from Flight Aware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fossil View Post
    I signed as a basic user for Flight Aware but the search feature for finding my flight eludes me?
    On the FlightAware home page, you should see a search box at the very top in the center. It says, "Search for flight, tail, or city" - just enter the tail number of the plane and click the orange "Track" button to the right.

Post Thanks / Like

On the FlightAware home page, you should see a search box at the very top in the center. It says, "Search for flight, tail, or city" - just enter the tail number of the plane and click the orange "Track" button to the right.
    Yes, thanks. I submitted in that manner a few times for flights made within the allowable history time frame but got only this message.[FlightAware couldn't find flight tracking data for N1684P just yet.] I submitted PAPRR requests and received the reports for my flights so I know the flights were captured in the system. Oh well it's a non issue. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fossil View Post
    Yes, thanks. I submitted in that manner a few times for flights made within the allowable history time frame but got only this message.[FlightAware couldn't find flight tracking data for N1684P just yet.] I submitted PAPRR requests and received the reports for my flights so I know the flights were captured in the system. Oh well it's a non issue. Just curious.
    I just checked and FlightAware shows that your most recent flight was Sunday, May 12th from 7:04-7:46 PM, plus another flight on May 12 (1:18-1:59 PM), and a third flight on March 17 ((1:19-1:34 PM).

I tried without logging in and got the same result that you obtained. FlightAware classified your flights as a "position only" that are restricted from public view. A "position only" flight means that you were not in contact with ATC. I have an "Enterprise" account as I have ADS-B ground stations that submit data to FlightAware. So either you are not logged in to FlightAware or the "position only" flights are not available to a "basic" user.

Tom P.
    Wagabond @ 08A