Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: slight oil leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default slight oil leak

I thought that my oil leaks were solved, but I guess I was wrong. I have a slight leak coming from the front of the motor. I was thinking the prop hub gasket, but I reach and rub my fingers on the back inside of the crank pulley and its dirty but its dry. but when looking in the cowling from the passenger side front opening, looking at what I call the front main I can see and feel fresh clean oil on the block. Is there something under the front crank gasket that can leek? Can the prop hub gasket leek without down the block but not on the back of the fly wheel?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: slight oil leak

Leaking crank seal will stream down the front of the engine and the back of the flywheel will be dry. Took me a while figure that out. The 2nd time I had oil on the front of the crankcase and the back of the flywheel was dry I knew what it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Check the oil cooler lines and fittings?
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, that is good news in my world, because it is replaceable without major engine work.

Post Thanks / Like

Wake UP! - Jostling an old thread - My nightmares continue. Fixing loose wing fabric - getting ready for my SOLO flight in my TriPacer with my CFI sitting next to me and it won't start. Correction - It wouldn't crank. Threw my CFI a 20 and said I'd call him when I sort it out. 3 hours later, my electrical tracing multi-meter and wires in my hands - seats out on the hangar floor I find a wiggly loose positive terminal wire at the starter. Stock 1956 Delco Remy starter. Remove lower engine cowling to get at it, pull off the nuts and find somebody had installed external star washers between the inner nut and the phenolic washer which, due to vibration had buzz sawn through the phenolic insulating washer causing a dead short to the grounded starter motor case. I stopped there, and went looking for phenolic washers - 2 hours later I ordered 5 off ebay - on the way to me now. Hoping my starter is ok. While the lower cowl is off, looked at all the oily mess all over lots of areas and found what appears to be an Oil Cooler leak on the drivers side spigot right at the tank face. Like not the threaded junction but a real crack, split cooler jacket-type leak in the cooler itself. Question: is this something I should have repaired or replace the original cooler with a new one? Another brand? Alu vs. Copper? I want it stock. I don't want to relocate it like some of you guys do. I want to SOLO! All recommendations and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced mine also original with another used original. I think I bought it off someone on the board. I did not see the need for one of the newer and of course better ones.
    My tripe has been flying for almost 60 years with no oil related problems. I use the stock cover plate in winter under 40 degrees. I fly like most everyone nice and easy most of the time but I do enjoy pushing it a little harder every now and then. If you don't need better cooling save your money so you can spend it on fuel for more flying time.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you need it in the winter

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I would not suggest flying without an oil cooler, every motor needs some way of cooling the engine oil, even in the winter with the cover on the cooler it still cools the oil. The cover allows the oil to build some heat, with out the cover the oil will not reach operating temp. I would not have a problem test starting my plane with the cooler being bi passed but that is only a couple minutes of run time, no temp build up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob.shea View Post
    yes, I would not suggest flying without an oil cooler, every motor needs some way of cooling the engine oil, even in the winter with the cover on the cooler it still cools the oil. The cover allows the oil to build some heat, with out the cover the oil will not reach operating temp. I would not have a problem test starting my plane with the cooler being bi passed but that is only a couple minutes of run time, no temp build up
    I've wondered about that, the O-235 in my Clipper does just fine without an oil cooler, I'm used to seeing I'll temps stay at 220 to 230 now, I've wondered how well its big brother O-320 could fare without the oil cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

Not well. It needs one.