Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: slight oil leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: slight oil leak

I would clean and check unless it is obvious that the cooler is cracked. There is a seal in the stock hard oil cooler lines at the cooler fittings as well that can cause leaks. I installed the newer light weight aluminum oil cooler to save weight and it is more efficient at cooling. I have several original brass oil coolers if you figure out you need one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, I'll clean and check close. Bye the way, is there a friendly cleaner you guys recommend? Something not too harsh that I can spray on all over the engine and compartment and hose off? Are my magnetos fairly water resistant? I've got some generic California green type sprays but they're not overly effective at cutting 50 wt. motor oil. Some spray on engine cleaners are a bit harsh and can attack aluminum so am leery of using the wrong stuff. Maybe I should start a "how do I clean my oily engine compartment properly" thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Lot of the wallmart and ace hdwr cleaners can be corrosive if not rinsed thoroughly. Mineral spirits is pretty good. I would protect the mags and vacuum pump from liquid. The aviation Simple Green I get from Aircraft Spruces cuts grease well and is not corrosive. A bit pricey but it works.
    Last edited by andya; 12-01-2016 at 01:15 PM.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use a siphon gun and mineral spirits. Just realize that mineral spirits will melt asphalt.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Steve, That's how I do it also but do it outdoors away from EVERYTHING as you are vaporizing a flammable liquid and making it VERY flammable. Proper precautions are necessary.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

My shop, NewView Technology here in Oshkosh, use mineral spirits with a siphon gun to clean engines on a regular basis. They do have a special tray set-up to catch the run-off and drain it into a container below. Works quite well to clean-up oil leak messes and it doesn't nearly as much mineral spirits as you might expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Ditto Steve, That's how I do it also but do it outdoors away from EVERYTHING as you are vaporizing a flammable liquid and making it VERY flammable. Proper precautions are necessary.
    I didn't realize mineral spirits were flammable.

Post Thanks / Like

Flash point of mineral ​spirits is 105 degrees F.

The flash point is the lowest temperature at which vapours of a volatile material will ignite, when given an ignition source.

Post Thanks / Like

How many are keeping quiet about some of the flammable stuff we've used to clean greasy oily stuff? This one time back in band camp..... Was working in this series 19000 cat....it's a great big late 30's diesel. Had been sitting for years..20 or so from what I was told. Log story shortened... Was using Jet A and a siphon gun...and smoking a cig.....like a dip stick...I've since quit long ago....anyway... This guy walks up giving me poo about smoking and Jet A. He disappeared quick when I threw that cig in the puddle of Jet A... I've used gasoline...gas oil mix for the chain saw...what ever was handy... Then a good douche with dish soap and hot water... And yes I know... Kinda stupid... Maybe that's why once upon a time I was a fireman and did that rescue stuff... Still live in the edge....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

In Navy firefighting school I remember the instructor throwing a lighted match in a bucket of Jet A and another in a bucket with a very small amount of Avgas. The match went out in the Jet A you can imagine what happened to the bucket with 115/145 avgas.
    Few years later while refueling at sea the tanker lost steering and rammed us then pulled away and broke the refueling hoses. The flight deck was awash in JP5 and it was raining down on the hangar deck. I was standing in the middle of the flight deck with JP5 up to my ankles and a dead firefighting hose. The Ensign in charge didn't know how to energize the fire main. Four F4's with their tails broken off were littering the flight deck. They had been parked behind the island with their tails outboard and were hit by the tanker superstructure. NO Fire.

The carrier JP5 fuel tanks were vented upward and terminated in a cabinet in the 2nd deck Chiefs mess. Every so often the fuel kings would do something wrong and vented JP5 would flood the floor. I ate a few breakfasts with my feet in JP5.