Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: slight oil leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: slight oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    To find oil leaks, the best method Iíve found is to clean the engine as well as you can and let it dry. Then use baby powder to cover the entire engine with a light coat of powder. Start and run for about 5 minutes and look for traces of oil in the baby powder. If there are no traces, repeat the 5 minute runs until the oil shows up. You just found at least one of the leaks! Once found, now figure out how to fix it.

As for using solvent on the engine, if you have a dry vacuum pump, avoid getting solvent on the drive. They are plastic drives and the solvent could deteriorate the drive. Only applies to dry pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Athletes foot spray works great for this as it's basically an aerosolized talcum powder. It dries leaving an even coat that's pretty resistant to sloughing off and any moisture will stand out on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Athletes foot spray works great for this as it's basically an aerosolized talcum powder. It dries leaving an even coat that's pretty resistant to sloughing off and any moisture will stand out on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Never tried that! Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found my leaks. The oil return lines at the rubber hoses. Possibly the oil filler neck where it goes into the case.
    Question, how on earth do you get in there to tighten the hose clamps, and is that something as an owner, I can do? How about replace the filer neck gasket?