Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: slight oil leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: slight oil leak

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    To find oil leaks, the best method I’ve found is to clean the engine as well as you can and let it dry. Then use baby powder to cover the entire engine with a light coat of powder. Start and run for about 5 minutes and look for traces of oil in the baby powder. If there are no traces, repeat the 5 minute runs until the oil shows up. You just found at least one of the leaks! Once found, now figure out how to fix it.

As for using solvent on the engine, if you have a dry vacuum pump, avoid getting solvent on the drive. They are plastic drives and the solvent could deteriorate the drive. Only applies to dry pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Athletes foot spray works great for this as it's basically an aerosolized talcum powder. It dries leaving an even coat that's pretty resistant to sloughing off and any moisture will stand out on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Athletes foot spray works great for this as it's basically an aerosolized talcum powder. It dries leaving an even coat that's pretty resistant to sloughing off and any moisture will stand out on it.

Never tried that! Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found my leaks. The oil return lines at the rubber hoses. Possibly the oil filler neck where it goes into the case.
    Question, how on earth do you get in there to tighten the hose clamps, and is that something as an owner, I can do? How about replace the filer neck gasket?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as we got into it, the #4 cylinder valve cover is actually leaking. Would a single point leak like these spread the oil over the entire bottom of the engine? Just curious about other experience with their minor leaks.

Post Thanks / Like

Not unusual, Just cleaned up what appeared to be a massive leak by looks of oil in cowling almost back
    to accessory case. all came from a leak around a bolt, front bottom holding the case halves together.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post

I use spot lifter, works great - plus if you get somebody's upholstery dirty you can zap it while looking for oil leaks

https://smile.amazon.com/Albachem-Po...c+spot+remover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01Delta View Post
    Well, as we got into it, the #4 cylinder valve cover is actually leaking. Would a single point leak like these spread the oil over the entire bottom of the engine? Just curious about other experience with their minor leaks.
    Yes, a leak like that will go everywhere under the cowl. The airflow inside the cowl changes when you change your aircraft configuration and speed.

Sometimes a long thin screwdriver, or a short one is the ticket to tightening those hose clamps....it all depends on the last guy that tightened them. I always try to position the clamp to ensure easy access for tightening.
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 07-30-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    Forrest Miller

Post Thanks / Like

We tried a few of the cork gaskets on the valve cover and still had a minor leak. Finally switched over to the silicone gaskets and problem solved.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Post Thanks / Like

Chasing down the oil leaks. None from the rocker covers, nor oil return lines. This is coming from the top of the engine on left side only. I had wiped the engine down before taking these photos, but I outlined where the oil was coating it. Anyone have a simular mystery? My A&P and I are stumped. We have not re-torqued the case bolts yet as I just got back from a flight and found definite oil trails. Inked20180810_135911_LI.jpgInked20180810_135904_LI.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

#2 rear push tube seal.. I have had prop seal leaks, cylinder base flange leaks that appeared to be case bolts. Wind driven oil from the front of the engine ends up along case split.