Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stewart's and Superflight

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Superflite and Stewart's

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I am getting serious about recovering the wings on my PA22-150 and noticed that Stewart's is recommending the Superflite material. Has anyone used this combination? Will the Superflite hold up as long as Ceconite?
    Theo
    Theo,

I used Superflite 102 on my wings and tail for the main fabric. I used Ceconite light tapes on Stewart's suggestion: http://www.stewartsystems.aero/forum...ified-aircraft They were very easy to work, far easier that Superflite tapes (yes I bought some). The same quality that makes the SF102 work well for the main fabric makes it harder to work on the tapes. The light is available from multiple sources: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=3018196

I've only got 115 hours or so on the recover, there are many folks with much more. If you scroll up I reposted what the Stewart manual says about what fabric to use.

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart's and Superflight

After looking back I see that I have asked these questions before and want to apologize for rehashing the subject. Also thanks to those that went back over the issue. I have recently retired from the military and now have more free time so I am a notch more serious than I was before.
    Theo

Post Thanks / Like

Three more questions. What is the device called that holds and rotates the wings, can I fo the job without one and about how many yards of fabric are needed to do each wing?
    theo

Post Thanks / Like

Three more questions. What is the device called that holds and rotates the wings, can I fo the job without one and about how many yards of fabric are needed to do each wing?
    theo
    The device is called a wing rotator. I bought mine from Wag Aero, but many have made their own. I used the rotator for my PA11 project from covering through painting, I just finished a PA12 project and used saw horses for covering and the rotator for painting. Without the rotator for covering, you will need help to turn it over, but not a big deal. If you are using the blanket method, you will need about 5 1/2-6 yards per side or 11-12 per wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert
    i understand how the rotator attaches to the inboard section but how does it attach to the outboard part of the wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert
    i understand how the rotator attaches to the inboard section but how does it attach to the outboard part of the wing?
    The rotator hoop has structure that allows you to attach to the strut attach points and the wing will then be suspended inside the hoop. For covering, if you use the rotator, you will just be attached to the inboard end with the tip suspended on a sawhorse. You can then turn the wing over by yourself. Your number of yards of fabric needed may vary because of the control surfaces. the suppliers tell me that the extra width trimmed off the wing will do the control surfaces. That usually doesn't work for me. At around $12 per yard, a little extra doesn't break the bank. That will come later.
    100_1945.jpg100_1943.jpg
    Last edited by RobertC; 09-02-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

about how many yards of fabric are needed to do each wing?
    theo
    Call Stewart Systems. When I did mine I told them what I was covering and they already knew how many yards I needed and they were spot on!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

My rule of thumb is one yard for every foot in length + 1 yard... 16 foot wing, 17 yards fabric... works out pretty good...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is a list of Stewarts materials needed to recover a Short Wing.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ecovering-cost

Post Thanks / Like

I just received a materials estimate from Stewarts for the wings and it came in below $2000.