Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: PA-18 banner tow lands on beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-18 banner tow lands on beach

It appears that this plane was towing a banner along the beach when it lost power. The pilot dropped the banner then did a power off landing on the edge of the crowded beach but clipped a little kid. The plane flipped but the pilot was basically uninjured.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...311648631.html

There are better videos but this is the first story I found.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-18 banner tow lands on beach

Better to stuff it in the water tand injure someone on the beach in my opinion.
    I had to fetch my PA20 off the beach when a towline fouled the rudder horn.
    I wasn't flying the thing at the time.
    The plane went over on its back but the pilot had killed the engine and it wasn't damaged,
    The rudder had a little bend and the channels on the top of the fuselage had to be straightened. We flew the airplane back to the home field after field repairs.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know "little" a 12 year old kid is considered to be but a busy beach usually means busy water too. The results could have been as bad or worse if he had chanced a water landing and hit a swimmer, surfer or boater. I don't know about anyone else but I was taught to always turn toward land in the event of an engine failure over water. Losing power over water at low altitude in a very high drag situation would not give a person much time to sort out the best landing spot. I think it is better just to be thankful no one was seriously hurt than to second guess what a pilot did in a situation that very, very few of us will ever face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought he did a good job. Looked like he went into the surf to avoid people and ended up on his back. Bad situation all the way around and all walked away.