Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Vagabond bungees

  1. #11
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bungee Cords

    What is a good tool for changing bungee cords on a PA-17 Vagabond? Found older threads here about Vagabond bungee cords.

    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...e+cord+install

    Is lifting one main tire at a time by using a floor crane with nylon straps attached to motor mounts a good way to lift the Vagabond?

    Saw a information CD referred to here, would like to buy one of those.

    Thanks,

    Bill

  2. #12
    tnowak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hampshire, England
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bungee Cords

    Hi Bill,

    I use a car scissor jack on a sturdy wooden box and place jack at the centre undercarriage attachment point. I use a small hardwood block to stop paint damage.
    This lifts the complete airplane so I tie down one wing (using concrete tie-down) so only one wheel comes up.
    Airplane is quite stable like this but I always place wooden blocks under the axle.

    I also know someone who fabricated some kind of fitting which allowed him to place jacks under the lower engine bearer attach bolts.

    TonyN

  3. #13
    Frank Green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Frankfort NY
    Posts
    643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bungee Cords

    I have a set up that can do Vag bungees. I'm in central NY but if you ship me your struts and cords I can put them on for you. The challenge is the length that makes most tools unusable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #14
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bungee Cords

    Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Hi Bill,

    I use a car scissor jack on a sturdy wooden box and place jack at the centre undercarriage attachment point. I use a small hardwood block to stop paint damage.
    This lifts the complete airplane so I tie down one wing (using concrete tie-down) so only one wheel comes up.
    Airplane is quite stable like this but I always place wooden blocks under the axle.

    I also know someone who fabricated some kind of fitting which allowed him to place jacks under the lower engine bearer attach bolts.

    TonyN
    Tony, Appreciate the information. Will be working on this project next.

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 04-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

  5. #15
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bungee Cords

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I have a set up that can do Vag bungees. I'm in central NY but if you ship me your struts and cords I can put them on for you. The challenge is the length that makes most tools unusable.
    Frank,

    Sending PM,

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 04-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.

  6. #16
    Administrator Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Graham, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Vagabond bungees

    I have weighted one wing tie down and lifted by the engine mount close to the tubing cluster without issue. Merged your thread with another on the subject t with pictures and video.

  7. #17
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vagabond bungees

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have weighted one wing tie down and lifted by the engine mount close to the tubing cluster without issue. Merged your thread with another on the subject t with pictures and video.
    Steve,

    This is my next project. Appreciate the help!

    Bill

  8. #18
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vagabond bungees

    Looking at Piper Service Memo 12 Shock Cord Rings that Steve posted on the previous page, stating 3/4X8 cords to be used on the PA-17.

    The 1280 3/4X8 cord U31322-000 referenced at Univar for the PA-17 application is rated at 750. The 1280HD 3/4X8 cord referenced at Aircraft Spruce for the PA-17 application is rated at 950. Also found 1080 5/8X8 cord at Aircraft Spruce rated at 750.

    1280 cord:

    http://www.univair.com/accessories-s...00-shock-cord/

    1280HD, 1280, 1080 cord:

    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ON%20CHART.pdf

    Plan to order 1280 cords tomorrow.

    Advice is always Welcome!

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 05-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.

  9. #19
    andya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UT47
    Posts
    1,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vagabond bungees

    I have straight 1080's on mine. Still stiff enough when taxiing on rough taxiway.
    I wrapped some cheap masking tape tight around the middle of the bungee cord
    went and did some landings and purposely pushed in on for a wheel landing and
    leveled off about 1-2 feet in air so it would have a little bit of a fall when it payed
    off. Masking tape never distorted or tore. Had 1280's and took them off, IMHO
    it was too stiff.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

  10. #20
    rideandfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Vagabond bungees

    andya,

    Appreciate the information. Current cords installed are very stiff on turf runways I'm flying off of.

    Thanks,

    Bill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •