Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vagabond bungees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bungee Cords

What is a good tool for changing bungee cords on a PA-17 Vagabond? Found older threads here about Vagabond bungee cords.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...e+cord+install

Is lifting one main tire at a time by using a floor crane with nylon straps attached to motor mounts a good way to lift the Vagabond?

Saw a information CD referred to here, would like to buy one of those.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Cords

Hi Bill,

I use a car scissor jack on a sturdy wooden box and place jack at the centre undercarriage attachment point. I use a small hardwood block to stop paint damage.
    This lifts the complete airplane so I tie down one wing (using concrete tie-down) so only one wheel comes up.
    Airplane is quite stable like this but I always place wooden blocks under the axle.

I also know someone who fabricated some kind of fitting which allowed him to place jacks under the lower engine bearer attach bolts.

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I have a set up that can do Vag bungees. I'm in central NY but if you ship me your struts and cords I can put them on for you. The challenge is the length that makes most tools unusable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Hi Bill,

I use a car scissor jack on a sturdy wooden box and place jack at the centre undercarriage attachment point. I use a small hardwood block to stop paint damage.
    This lifts the complete airplane so I tie down one wing (using concrete tie-down) so only one wheel comes up.
    Airplane is quite stable like this but I always place wooden blocks under the axle.

I also know someone who fabricated some kind of fitting which allowed him to place jacks under the lower engine bearer attach bolts.

TonyN
    Tony, Appreciate the information. Will be working on this project next.

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 04-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I have a set up that can do Vag bungees. I'm in central NY but if you ship me your struts and cords I can put them on for you. The challenge is the length that makes most tools unusable.
    Frank,

Sending PM,

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 04-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vagabond bungees

I have weighted one wing tie down and lifted by the engine mount close to the tubing cluster without issue. Merged your thread with another on the subject t with pictures and video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have weighted one wing tie down and lifted by the engine mount close to the tubing cluster without issue. Merged your thread with another on the subject t with pictures and video.
    Steve,

This is my next project. Appreciate the help!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Piper Service Memo 12 Shock Cord Rings that Steve posted on the previous page, stating 3/4X8 cords to be used on the PA-17.

The 1280 3/4X8 cord U31322-000 referenced at Univar for the PA-17 application is rated at 750. The 1280HD 3/4X8 cord referenced at Aircraft Spruce for the PA-17 application is rated at 950. Also found 1080 5/8X8 cord at Aircraft Spruce rated at 750.

1280 cord:

http://www.univair.com/accessories-s...00-shock-cord/

1280HD, 1280, 1080 cord:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ON%20CHART.pdf

Plan to order 1280 cords tomorrow.

Advice is always Welcome!

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by rideandfly; 05-24-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have straight 1080's on mine. Still stiff enough when taxiing on rough taxiway.
    I wrapped some cheap masking tape tight around the middle of the bungee cord
    went and did some landings and purposely pushed in on for a wheel landing and
    leveled off about 1-2 feet in air so it would have a little bit of a fall when it payed
    off. Masking tape never distorted or tore. Had 1280's and took them off, IMHO
    it was too stiff.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

andya,

Appreciate the information. Current cords installed are very stiff on turf runways I'm flying off of.

Thanks,

Bill