Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Pacer bush plane underway!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer bush plane underway!

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I would love to see those baffles too
    I started a new thread "Installing RV engine baffles" so people could look it up easier at a later date.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Since my plane is a Bushmaster, I feel OK to post on this thread. I'll try to remember to get some pictures tomorrow. I have had my oil cooler up against the rear cylinder for a few years and have not had oil cooling issues. The new Van's baffle is lower in the rear so the cooler will set a bit lower. I wonder if that will effect the cooling.
    That’s basically what my theory is. The lower the cooler is mounted in relation to the cylinder, the less air I believe will pass through the cooler vice the cylinder fins. I saw your pics in the other thread, nice craftsmanship!

Post Thanks / Like

While I am waiting on some back ordered engine mount bushings I decided to clean up and paint my engine. It is a very low time engine, less then 50 hours, that has been in storage. It has been inspected and is ready to go but just did not look as good as the rest of my new plane. Today I scrubbed the engine down and then taped everything off. I sprayed it with Lycoming gray and did all the small parts in a satin black. I am trying to decide between red or black for the valve covers. It took a long 10 hour day from start to finish but I am glad that I did it.

479DA243-01BD-4396-9004-59AE93C0801D.jpg0A9AF2BA-696D-4F6A-B472-926A66DC7025.jpg5BB3C3FF-B7AB-45DD-943B-80D0FC9F4088.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Had a good weekend. Got all the engine paint finished up and actually got to mate the engine up to the airframe. I am hoping to have everything bolted together tomorrow and want to start mounting the Vans baffles by the end of the week. If al goes well today I will be picking up efrench’s Sutton exhaust. Getting closer!

A0C92123-82DF-4E04-BDAB-4DECF488A9F6.jpgB99A8AB8-DDB5-4B69-944C-2952B21A09AA.jpg7CFD2DB9-A30C-4B50-9441-9AF36B10DA6E.jpgB9434E3E-6779-4EE3-B4C7-5D70B7A6791B.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Engine all mounted... had to throw the Catto prop just for looks!

39CEF7F5-318C-4693-B30B-AD7F7529C001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the pics, really looks nice. How do you keep your hangar so clean, , mine appears like an inside enclosed salvage yard.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Andy articulated my thought as I looked at your pic.
    I would be embarrassed to post a pic of the hangar -not clean and shiny and well lit [bright] like yours. Yours appears to be a showroom. Mine is a dark, cluttered, corrugated tin with stained asphalt floor. Nevermind that your painted engine and plane look much "show-ier" than mine! By all means, keep those pics coming!
    Cheers
    AL

Post Thanks / Like

Ok.... so although I have not posted a lot I have been working on the project quite a bit. I am at the point where I need to get the panel finalized and ready to put in. I have the original panel and was going to go with a very basic set up utilizing the current layout. That being said I have now took inventory of what all I have laying around and I am thinking about going a little different the original plan. One of the biggest things is that I now have a GRT EIS-4000 engine monitor to use. This would obviously do the Tach, Oil Pressure/Temp, CHT’s, EGT’s, OAT, fuel guantity/flow/duration, Volt/Amps, etc. Using the engine monitor really opens up a lot of space. I also bought a 2 1/4 inch airspeed indicator, Becker radio and matching transponder with encoder. I also have a PS Engineering intercom. I was going to use the Becker’s. Holt on intercom but was not happy with all the functions. I would like to run a Garmin 496 for XM weather and radio. I also have to throw a remote for the ELT next to the intercom placement. Keep in mind we have our 172 as our daily driver but this plane will hopefully be flown all over, VFR only of course. It is nice to have opinions from others who have been there and done that! The one thing I would like to keep is my glove box placement. It is huge and follows the frame tubing for support. I hate to lose it or make it smaller. I though about flush mounting the 496 in the glove box door. I appreciate any thoughts!!! I also would like to move the slip indicator up to the top center of the panel. Compass will be a SIRS windshield mounted. ..... oh! I also have several EXP Bus power panels with the annunciation panels. That does away with the circuit breakers. The panel also gives you a cockpit light dimmer. I plan to put the switches below the panel on the ledge and put the controls more centered, Caen heat, throttle, mixture, etc.

7E9720E9-8E2E-4F79-B72B-2D424DB1C34B.jpg

B5647AEC-1F84-42F7-80C2-F90CE50E5BC9.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I like your approach. You could get a small slip indicator that fits under the AS. I made a small slip indicator a few years ago that worked well. Now I use an electric turn coordinator that has the slip gauge.

I also used the PA 16 instrument panel because my panel is minimalist.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good, Streeter! Yes, your hangar/house still looks great.

I have the Garmin396, fit into a "Gizmo" mount... but it appears you'd have to have it way to the right, which might not be the best location. The glove box, however, is nice so I can see why you'd want to keep it.

Making progress on 57A; left wing largely repaired/reassembled now. Right wing should go faster.

Walt