Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Pacer bush plane underway!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer bush plane underway!

Hey Walt, I keep waiting for your plane to come taxing in to the ramp here!

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent, didn't want to hijack thread... But yes, I'm still alive and kicking! (same for 57A!)

Walt

Post Thanks / Like

Been slacking on my updates! Before I started to mount and trim my baffles I needed to have my cowling all done. I put an extra layer of fiberglass around the inside perimeter of the wag aero nose bowl I bought to give it some extra strength for attaching machine screw plates to it. I got it all drilled and the machine plates riveted in. Once the cowling was all set I set out to make poster board templates of the baffles that I could use to cut down a little at a time. note in the pics of my cowling this was before everything was centered up and set in stone. I figured once I got them the way I wanted them I could offer to trace out the templates for anyone hoping to use the Vans baffles in the future. I also mounted the tail surfaces this past week. I am using the pacer feathers until I can rebuild a set of PA-18 feathers. I had some pretty warn parts in my tail wire set up so I bought some new adjuster barrels and the square washers I needed as well as the special fitted washers for the top brace. I had a little issue with my elevator travel. I was only getting 10 degrees up deflection while I was getting about 22 degrees down. I realized that for one thing I was using the lower elevator horn attachment plate from my original pacer project and that on the Shortwing CD it was a different part number as the vagabonds plate. This of course doubles as the up elevator stop plate. Mine was 1/2 inch too long. Iinstead of just cutting 1/2 inch off I am setting the elevator at the correct deflection and then measuring and slowly taking the extra off the back of the plate. I am sitting at the computer with the disc trying to figure out of the clipper controls which I am using have a downward deflection stop somewhere that I am missing or not utilizing correctly. I am hoping that by the end of the weekend I will have the baffling all done and the tail all figured out and done also. She is coming together slowly but surely! I also took a breake from the hard work and installed a set of Atlee Dodge long steps so I don't have to use a step stool to climb into the cockpit to make airplane noises!

3116.jpg 3221.jpg 3223.jpg 3268.jpg 3269.jpg 3278.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a long month of even longer days on the build. Baffles are all done minus the blast tubes being made this week. I picked up a set of mags, so once they are mounted I will fab up the tubes. Started wiring all of the engine compartment for the EIS 4000. We designed a new panel to be water jetted and are just waiting for it to come back. I had extra help one day and we were held up finishing up the FWF so I took the opportunity to mount the wings. The tail has been pretty much buttoned up except I am very disappointed in the arch of the Univair tail spring... it will be replaced this next week. I still don’t like how my up elevator stop hits the fuselage so I am redesigning a better stop plate today. Every little detail just takes a lot of time to do correctly but I am happy with the progress!

E5F91615-AC2C-46AB-8EDC-91ACFA47A0EB.jpg C0C7AA58-9209-4980-95D0-C5A473B9A962.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Streeter, I think I saw a speck of dirt on the floor there... you better get after it!

Seriously, your bush plane's looking great! Question-- when you make up your blast tubes, any possibility you could make up a third one I could buy? My O-320 is missing one....

Walt

DSC04857.jpgDSC04860.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

you do some nice work! see ya soon.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been four months! Any Update?

Post Thanks / Like

It is true when they say that when your 90 percent done that you still have 50 percent of the work to do! The little details seem to take a lot of time. The panel is all done now and about ready for paint. I have to mount some machine screw plates that will hold the engine monitor panel in tomorrow then it will be ready for paint. All the controls are now on and all new cables have been made and installed. Next will be rigging it up correctly and tensioning the cables. The only real wiring I have to do right now is to make a harness that goes from the PS Engineering intercom to the Becker radio. I had a very slow summer just due to long work hours, kiddos and traveling! I am pretty much back in the build mode now and hope to make some good progress these next few months.

image2.jpg image3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Are you installing the 3 inch extended gear?
    Last edited by Stephen; 10-16-2018 at 07:39 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Right now it has stock length gear on it. I have considered upgrading to plus 3 gear and a TKS suspension.