Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bushmaster with the wings on!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bushmaster with the wings on!

Wow!! It looks great. Pics like this motivate me to work on mine even harder!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stretchedpacer View Post
    31's and tail wheel are going on once I get the wing tips and a few other details done.
    Wow, that is going to be one long tall airplane. Congrats and keep up the good work!

I don't see enough grass/dirt/gravel in Missouri to make bushwheels worth the cost.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to getting it finished and in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post
    Looking good. I'm curious as to what the span is from the strut to the wing tip. Does the wing use a Piper type spar???
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim,
    I'm out of town but will put a tape on this or dig out the plans when I return. the strut attach location though is in the stock 18 or 12 location and the overall wing panel is 17 feet long. The spars are d&e but they are identical to piper spars with a slightly thicker web. They do come as blanks though so you have to drill every hole.
    Last edited by stretchedpacer; 10-28-2015 at 06:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am very interested in seeing some close up pics of your gear. I am set on going with a wider upper portion of my gear year also. I will be beefing up the cross members at station 3 and the rear, stock gear attach point. What suspension are you using there?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll try to snap a few pics of the gear when I'm out at the airport again. To be honest though, I would consider super cub gear and a new matching station if I were to do it again. I built two sets of gear so parts availability shouldn't be a huge issue but it is a consideration.
    The shocks are a home brew design with ideas from several other designs. The rubber pucks are from an aircoup and the basic design for the rest is similar to a die spring setup. I can't say how they do or do not work but they will be easy to change if I don't like them. I am hoping they have less spring back than either a die spring or traditional bungees. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably should have titled this thread better. Oh well.
    I took a look at the plans for those of you interested in some of the particulars on the wings. Here are the relevant details per the questions above:

1. Spars are a full 17 feet in length. Piper type with a slightly thicker web. Supplied by D&E.
    2. From the wing root to the strut attach the wings are similar to a super cub in terms of drag wires (box wires) and rib locations.
    3. The strut attach fitting, as noted on the plans, is at 121.25 inches. Note however that this measurement is for the center bolt that attaches the strut attach fittings and a compression member. If you look at wing plans for a PA-18 it will make sense.
    4. For drag wires this wing uses two sets of the long wires, one set of the shorter wires and then a separate steel compression tube that makes up the difference for the last two feet or so of wing. My wing also uses the compression tube which goes through the tank like a PA-20 or 22.
    5. The distance from the strut attach to the end of the wing (without any allowance for wingtips) is right at 82.75 inches.
    6. Three flap hinges and three aileron hinges. Flap hinge actuates at the center hinge.

I hope this answers some of the questions.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you do the lift struts?

Bushmaster, has only the front strut attached at the fuselage. The rear strut bolts to the front strut.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."