Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pa22 108/135

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pa22 108/135

My Colt has an O-290 D2 and am currently working through the BFR and awaiting a special issuance on the medical. I'm looking for Vx and Vy speeds that are being used by you folks.
    Operations are out of a 2,000, 830' elevation, flat and always mowed grass strip. Any thoughts regarding airspeeds in general would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pa22 108/135

Should still use what is in the Colt POH but generically 70 and 85 mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Pacer 24C but after flying a lot of SHort Wings my experience is that airspeed indicators are all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I agree with Pacer 24C but after flying a lot of SHort Wings my experience is that airspeed indicators are all over the place.
    I've only flown two and I agree! Is there an AOA system out there that is useable/certificated for a Shortwing?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

just saw a video describing AOA presented by the FAA. There were three that they described in the video, I can only remember the Bendix King unit and Safefight unit.
    the Bendix King unit was introduced about 2 years ago. I believe the FAA has modified their stance on installation to where it may only be a log book entry, for sure they are encouraging installations

Post Thanks / Like

I would follow the POH tends to be right. The other thing I would recommend is try to stay in ground effect as long as possible. This will help build speed faster and give you some momentum reserve for you climb out.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the AoA goes, I'm planning to get a CYA-100 for Christmas. If no one else has any comments on one before then I'll post up about it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Airspeed indicators can be checked with the GPS. I adjusted mine until it was pretty close to GPS by bending that intake tube. Than went up and did stalls, it gave me a good baseline on what I could fly.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The static system in these airplanes are different. Get the numbers for the particular airplane. The more you fly it the less you will look at the AS indicator and feel the airplane in the seat of your pants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The static system in these airplanes are different. Get the numbers for the particular airplane. The more you fly it the less you will look at the AS indicator and feel the airplane in the seat of your pants.
    Found out the static line isn't even connected to the tube/port in the wing like it should be. Basically, the static is simply open behind the panel. Seems to work pretty well until you open the floor vent and it jumps all over the place. My butt is getting better at judging the speed. It's on the squawk list to fix but until then I just don't ride the edge that close.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb