Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Producer/Bushmaster Cruise and Stall Speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Producer/Bushmaster Cruise and Stall Speeds

I was curious what those of you with flying bushmasters or producers are seeing for cruise and stall speeds (power off and on).
    It would probably be helpful if you mentioned the wing length, fixed pitch or constant speed prop, flap size etc. just so we can try to do an apples to apples. Bush wheels or no would be helpful probably too since they are worth several mph.
    I am getting close to flying mine so that is the source of my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Producer/Bushmaster Cruise and Stall Speeds

Does any one have a copy of weight & balance they would like to share for a bushmaster. Measured distance from mains to center-line to tail post is 193 & to center Scott 3200 is 206. Would like to see some one else's calculations. Gross weight shown as 1950lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C175SKYLARK View Post
    Does any one have a copy of weight & balance they would like to share for a bushmaster. Measured distance from mains to center-line to tail post is 193 & to center Scott 3200 is 206. Would like to see some one else's calculations. Gross weight shown as 1950lbs.
    Center of Lift / Center of Gravity is all based on the Wing so weight and balance is calculated from the WLE (wing leading edge). Assuming that you have a standard wing configuration, use 11.5 to 24.0 inches Aft WLE as specified for a PA-22 and you should have a reasonable envelope.
    Check out the "Jake Bryant Tribute" Stretched Pacer Project on YouTube. - Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Built and flew experimental bushmaster. Flew it about 600hrs. 200 hp 0360 with constant speed. 37 ft span, 1194# empty-2500# gross.. Would haul all you could get in or on it. CG envelope just like P-22. 120 mph cruise at 65%. 9GPH. 26" goodyears. Best plane I ever had.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airwrench View Post
    Center of Lift / Center of Gravity is all based on the Wing so weight and balance is calculated from the WLE (wing leading edge). Assuming that you have a standard wing configuration, use 11.5 to 24.0 inches Aft WLE as specified for a PA-22 and you should have a reasonable envelope.
    Check out the "Jake Bryant Tribute" Stretched Pacer Project on YouTube. - Steve
    Well the Neutral Point/Center of lift is based on the relationship between the Horz. Stab and the center of lift of the wing. There are programs out there that will show you how to calculate where these points are. Basically the aft and forward center of gravities should be a certain percentage forward of the Neutral Point. If the Neutral Point and the Aft. CG gets to close to each other or at the same location it will allow the plane to get into a deep stall which you will not get out of. End of story.

Post Thanks / Like

Would it be possible to see a copy of your W&B I am working on mine & having a little difficulty with the numbers. Specifically, I am looking for the aft most CG loading range.

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually computed two separate loadings, MT wt 1125, CG 13.2. 216 lbs fuel, pilot @170, lunch on front seat @ 45lb, rear seat 340 lbs, aft baggage 54lbs.
    Total 1950 lbs, CG 22.98, moment 44827

the 2d is 1125, @ 13.2, 216 fuel, 170 pilot, 340 lbs rear seat 99 LB AFT BAGGAGE. using same stations as tri P. 1950 lbs, @ CG 24.0 moment 46897.

Comparing with the approved Tri pacer CG range vs weight chart has me some what confused.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between the wing center of lift and the aircraft's CG creates a pitching moment. This is offset by the tail. Piper with it's short wing aircraft decreased the total lift forces at the center of lift and were able to shorten the fuselage. When the Producer or Bushmaster lengthened the wings they had to lengthen the fuselage. If Producer and Bushmaster mods keep the original PA 22 weight and balance they did so by keeping the same ratio between center of lift and tail length. Experimental mods that deviate from the Producer or Bushmaster plans on wing or fuselage length would need to set their own weight and balance. This should be able to be done by figuring out ratios, such as the percentage of increased wing or fuselage to the original Pacer. Flaps will change the center of lift, check out the discussion on pitching up with full flaps at aft loading. This discussion is interesting to me as I will be starting the Super Pacer (certified Bushmaster) mod this winter.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is a 180 HP bushmaster on Edo 2440 floats with a 180 HP engine, 81 inch prop at 42 pitch.
    I cruise at 100 mph and burn 8 gph at 20" manifold pressure, or 2200 RMP at 1000'.
    Stall speed was disappointing when I tested it. I got about 48 mph indicated both power off and power on lightly loaded and 28 gallons of fuel. The CG was a bit forward. The GPS agreed with 45 on a day with light winds. I only tried it going one direction, so it's possible I was going down wind.
    I am installing VGs and am hoping that will make a difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scotthayd View Post
    Mine is a 180 HP bushmaster on Edo 2440 floats with a 180 HP engine, 81 inch prop at 42 pitch.
    I cruise at 100 mph and burn 8 gph at 20" manifold pressure, or 2200 RMP at 1000'.
    Stall speed was disappointing when I tested it. I got about 48 mph indicated both power off and power on lightly loaded and 28 gallons of fuel. The CG was a bit forward. The GPS agreed with 45 on a day with light winds. I only tried it going one direction, so it's possible I was going down wind.
    I am installing VGs and am hoping that will make a difference.
    Check your airspeed with 2 different gps's flying 3 different directions (fly a heading, add 120 degrees, fly long a stable enough, then add 120 degrees), write down your numbers. See how your AS compares to an average of your two gps ground speeds. 48 mph stall speed does not seem correct. I cannot really tell you my approach stall speed since I don't get a clean break, only a mush. My stall using about half throttle is well under 40 mph, I use my gps since my AS indicates was reading zero. I put in a new airspeed and it reads about 28 mph in a power on stall. I don't believe my AS at that high of a deck angle and slow. I have VG's, Deamer tips, 93 inch flaps,1180 empty weight and fat wheels. I'll get more data on my stalls.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."