Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Have not went out and collected data on performance but here are some numbers from my initial flights following the first 15 hours to breakin in the rings.
    Take off and climb is impressive. I have always established a take off pitch attitude to give me 90 mph IAS on take off for cylinder cooling and I would typically have 4-500 ft per minute rate of climb. (field elevation 3300, temps 80-90 deg F). with approx the same pitch attitude, climb attitude, IAS is about 110 ias and 1000-1100 climb rate.
    When I brought the bird home I stayed in the 4500-5500 feet altitude area and pulled about 24 inches MP to seat the rings. IAS was in the 140-145 IAS area.

Wide open throttle with the 150HP would have been in the 120-125 area depending on temperature. these IAS would usually only occur with temps 60-80.
    The biggest noticeable climb performance is getting to 10000 in approx half the distance and with enough extra at 10000' to easily keep going where before above 10k things were pretty slow. The highest I had ever been with the 150 with me and about 29 gallons fuel and 40# baggage was 11,500 and relatively cool June morning.

Take off performance with me and fuel fuel, one notch flaps was about 900+ feet ( 3300 elev and temps in the 80's)
    Take off now with same elevation, temps in the 70's and same fuel configuration is more like 600 feet with out flaps.
    1 notch of flaps always made a big difference before, had not used them much to get good data as of late.

In the 8-10,000 range usually fuel throttle would get me 100-105 ias where as full throttle will get me up to 130-135 mph.
    Obviously to go faster and climb faster burns more fuel and I don't have a good handle on that yet. I'm down for an
    exhaust pipe support tab on the exhaust and as soon as I resolve that issue, I hope to get some good data with
    summer temperatures coming and do some longer XC to get a feel for fuel burn at both "burn the gas" speeds" vs
    enough power to cruise at same speed as before.

I realize this is not real good data but it has made a different airplane of it. I sold Ed my old engine mount and after he
    bought it, had talked to me about the O-360 and what my initial performance increases were, he then talked with Eddie Trimmer
    and now has my old engine mount up for sale.
    Great report. I only have 2 hours on the engine so far and simply cannot contain my smile! A couple of differences: I am at sea level, and my mission is quite different. The only thing I am in a hurry to do is get off the ground. It will likely be a while before I am able to work the T/O numbers, but already it is amazing, and then to be able to climb after getting off the ground is huge! I increased 25 mph indicated as well, and that is with a much flatter pitch prop (I am rolling 31" bushwheels and sporting 125 mph). I am only able to squeak 24" mp, so I am going to try a different prop to gain some pressure for the next 8 hours.

One substantial difference on mine was the fit. When I visited Eddie Trimmer, he showed me that he had to trim the cowl stiffeners for fit around the exhaust. I went with the Sutton and have inches to spare without trimming! There was some monkey business for sure, i.e. The cables fit differently, the lower cowl/scoop had to be modified and the O-320 baffling had to be adjusted and relieved quite a bit to accommodate the extra width and the dynafocal mount. But all in all, it was a very good fit!

No regrets!

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015

Post Thanks / Like

EFrench, what did you go with for a prop? Also I'm curious how did your weight and balance change?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    EFrench, what did you go with for a prop? Also I'm curious how did your weight and balance change?
    I have a Sensenich 76EM8 (called out in the STC along with the wood). I ended up losing weight overall, but did some other mods such as shedding the vac system. My current empty is 1220. CG was relatively close.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    "If you do something; something else will happen. Don't wiggle the controls" Jim Alsip; EAA Webinar Oct 2015