Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 216169707172 LastLast

Thread: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Andy's Pacer restoration thread...

Want to give more votes and thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

Like all others - so grateful for the great photographic archive.
    No access to the detail you have provided down here in Aus so your pictures and descriptions are invaluable.

By the way guys (and gals) still in the high 90'sF here - kinda done with it now but it is only roughly 10 weeks to the first frost

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks also from UK!
    Have downloaded the PDF but haven't had time to real all the way through it.
    Vagabond fuselage recover work keeps getting in the way!
    TonyN
    p.s. -2 deg C here this morning.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time to assemble this document and documenting the restoration! What an amazing resource.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for all the information. it will be invaluable for my project!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Started assembling the flaps and ailerons today...

Left flap parts laid out on the table...

Outboard hinge going together...

Hinge finished...

Inboard hinge going together...

Almost done...

Hinge finished...

Trailing edge on, ready for epoxy primer...

Same things done to the right flap... Ready for primer...

Started on the right aileron...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    for assembling the horns and hinges to the spar, did you use regular aluminum AD rivets to secure the horn?
    not too sure what piper used. even several of the skins are dead soft, and not t-3 as far as i can tell...

Post Thanks / Like

I used AD rivets but I turn my gun pressure way down... Takes a while to get the shop head bucked but less chance to deform the base metal...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Piper used A rivets. I go back with As because of the reasons Brian stated.

Post Thanks / Like

How’s the performance gain from the engine conversion Andy? Cruise, climb, T/O roll, etc., before and after the conversion.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not went out and collected data on performance but here are some numbers from my initial flights following the first 15 hours to breakin in the rings.
    Take off and climb is impressive. I have always established a take off pitch attitude to give me 90 mph IAS on take off for cylinder cooling and I would typically have 4-500 ft per minute rate of climb. (field elevation 3300, temps 80-90 deg F). with approx the same pitch attitude, climb attitude, IAS is about 110 ias and 1000-1100 climb rate.
    When I brought the bird home I stayed in the 4500-5500 feet altitude area and pulled about 24 inches MP to seat the rings. IAS was in the 140-145 IAS area.

Wide open throttle with the 150HP would have been in the 120-125 area depending on temperature. these IAS would usually only occur with temps 60-80.
    The biggest noticeable climb performance is getting to 10000 in approx half the distance and with enough extra at 10000' to easily keep going where before above 10k things were pretty slow. The highest I had ever been with the 150 with me and about 29 gallons fuel and 40# baggage was 11,500 and relatively cool June morning.

Take off performance with me and fuel fuel, one notch flaps was about 900+ feet ( 3300 elev and temps in the 80's)
    Take off now with same elevation, temps in the 70's and same fuel configuration is more like 600 feet with out flaps.
    1 notch of flaps always made a big difference before, had not used them much to get good data as of late.

In the 8-10,000 range usually fuel throttle would get me 100-105 ias where as full throttle will get me up to 130-135 mph.
    Obviously to go faster and climb faster burns more fuel and I don't have a good handle on that yet. I'm down for an
    exhaust pipe support tab on the exhaust and as soon as I resolve that issue, I hope to get some good data with
    summer temperatures coming and do some longer XC to get a feel for fuel burn at both "burn the gas" speeds" vs
    enough power to cruise at same speed as before.

I realize this is not real good data but it has made a different airplane of it. I sold Ed my old engine mount and after he
    bought it, had talked to me about the O-360 and what my initial performance increases were, he then talked with Eddie Trimmer
    and now has my old engine mount up for sale.
    "Progress is our most important problem"