Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MaxPreheat is keeping my engine warm

Post Thanks / Like

Default MaxPreheat is keeping my engine warm

I wanted to come up with an affordable preheater for my Tripacer's Lycoming 0-320 and make it automated to keep my engine oil temp at a safe starting temp for the winter months. My friend Joe & I developed the MaxPreheat for this purpose, and it works awesomely! http://www.maxpreheat.com
    I fly back and forth between Soldotna and Anchorage Alaska all year round for business and needed to keep my engine warm WHERE THERE WAS NO ELECTRIC HOOKUPS. This posed a difficult problem... and hence... MaxPreheat 12V. We were able to maintain safe starting engine oil temp after 15 HOURS at subzero OAT. I could have spent the night if I wanted and still started my plane! Check us out. Affordable preheater you can take from plane to plane, no STC, no permanent installation needed, no flames, no need to watch it, and easy to use. 3 models to choose from to suite your needs. 12V, 24V, & 120V.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: MaxPreheat is keeping my engine warm

Looks like a great product, I'm very interested. It would be awesome if you became a member here to help keep the site going, and also if you had pricing info somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Aircraft spruce has them for sale.
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/maxpreheaters.php?clickkey=2376328

I fly into Lake Hood and need to keep my engine warm while I am at work. I don't want to sit and watch my generator or other flame type preheater while I am working. Works very good. Also, didn't want to leave my generator sitting by my plane running. Figured it might not be there when I get back. So, with the battery in the cab and my MaxPreheat 12v in the engine compartment, problem solved. Engine is kept warm with no babysitting needed.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind/size of battery do you use?
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jessinak View Post
    ... preheater you can take from plane to plane .... no permanent installation needed ....
    any installation / example installed pictures available?

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I see on your website your Alaskan Tri-Pacer test aircraft was '40D.
    My hangar partners own '31D, same paint scheme etc.

The Shortwing world is a small world indeed.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I use an interstate srm24 100ah 12v battery. The controller will shut down when 9v is reached. The installation of the pad just needs to be against the oil sump. The thermistor is in the bottom of the supplied tube. User will need to straighten the tube included in the package, then put a slight bend in the top to keep it from dropping all the way into the oil fill tube. The thermistor just needs to reach the oil. I use a small bit of safety wire to hold mine in place. It works really well. I fly my plane all year long averaging twice a week for work and sometimes an extra time or two for fun. I average 150+ hours per year, so far.

There should be an article in the cessna and piper pilot magazine on preheaters coming out soon. I'm pretty sure the MaxPreheat system will be included.

I sure do love my Tripacer. 1957 PA22-150. Had 1300 original hours on it when I bought it.