Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sky-Tec on a PA 22

I thought I'd pass on my Sky-Tec installation on a PA-22 with stock oil cooler location. The starter was a 122NL. Right off the bat I had to remove the lug on the starter right above the power terminal.
    I loosened the 3 bolts on the pilots side oil cooler mounting bracket which gave me enough wiggle room to offer the starter up in place and secure it. I next found the rear leg of the pilots side oil cooler mounting bracket hit the power terminal. I removed the bracket and made up a simple jig to locate the two legs that fasten to the side of the engine and the large hole for mounting the cooler itself.

I heated the rear leg and bent an "S" curve to clear the terminal. Using my jig when the large hole for the cooler and the front leg lined up, I was off just 1/2 a hole on the now shortened rear leg. With a file I elongated the hole until I was only 1/4 a hole off. Close enough for Govt. work.

I had to do a bit of file work to the engine baffle since the rear leg came in at a different angle. Next make up about a 6" extension for the power cable, put everything back and do the paperwork.

If the cooler was mounted someplace else the only modification would be the power cable extension.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sky-Tec on a PA 22

Hi,

.....The starter was a 122NL.

It that the long skinny one? Work well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great write up Paul, can you post some pictures of your install?

I think the NL is the long one Jim. It fits without much modification if any if I remember correctly but is a bit heavier and cost a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 122NL on my 22/20, I like it. Forward oil cooler and a Sutton going on.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

"I was only 1/4 a hole off. Close enough for Govt. work. "

Not trying to give you any second thoughts but I have a question for the group. We've had problems where our oil cooler bracket kept breaking. I think we've had had it break 3 times and all I different places. It's a real pain just because of getting to it - remove prop, nosebowl, cooler lines, repair and reinstall and hope for no leaks.

It's a big chunk of metal hanging on the front of the engine so I can see the bracket has a lot of stress on it. One thought was that maybe we don't have the bracket mounting lined up perfectly and the added stress of being "1/4 hole off" and having to pull it into place could be the culprit? I'm also going to do the dynamic balance in the spring to see if that could be the problem - too much vibration. The mechanic would charge me double if I made him check it in the cold ;-) it could just be a 50+ year old bracket that's had a lot of use.

Thoughts? Speculations?
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I used the term "Close enough for Govt. work" kinda like TLAR for "That Looks About Right" I should have put a smiley after the statement.

I perhaps should have mentioned that my cooler has flexible lines. When the bracket is bolted up, the left side of the cooler had moved a negligible amount. I really didn't have to use any force to bolt everything up. I am an A&P IA so I have a pretty good feel of how things should bolt up. The new starter works well. Unfortunately I took no pictures.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, wasn't meaning to disparage your work in any way but your "close enough" comment got me thinking of my own situation.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

On my installation on a PA-30, the cable to the starter had to be re-routed to get an extra 4-5 inches longer, the terminal was that much further forward than than the Delco.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    "I was only 1/4 a hole off. Close enough for Govt. work. "

Not trying to give you any second thoughts but I have a question for the group. We've had problems where our oil cooler bracket kept breaking. I think we've had had it break 3 times and all I different places. It's a real pain just because of getting to it - remove prop, nosebowl, cooler lines, repair and reinstall and hope for no leaks.

It's a big chunk of metal hanging on the front of the engine so I can see the bracket has a lot of stress on it. One thought was that maybe we don't have the bracket mounting lined up perfectly and the added stress of being "1/4 hole off" and having to pull it into place could be the culprit? I'm also going to do the dynamic balance in the spring to see if that could be the problem - too much vibration. The mechanic would charge me double if I made him check it in the cold ;-) it could just be a 50+ year old bracket that's had a lot of use.

Thoughts? Speculations?
    I think fatigue and vibration both play a role in the cracking. I have seen those that crack quite often and then those that don't. Less of a bind is better and those light weight oil coolers are nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know where I can get a snap hole cover that would fit the hole in the nose bowl?