Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harrison oil cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Harrison oil cooler

Just curious, we have the this old Harrison Cooler front mounted on our 0290-D2. I know they are heavy beasts but people also say they are not efficient. However, we were just talking that even in the middle of the summer I can't remember ever seeing the temp above 200 even in an extended climb. During the winter we have to tape it over nearly completely just to keep temps around 150. I'm assuming that our temp gauge is correct because it matches outside temps in the summer before we startup.

Are there internal engine parts (vernatherm?) that maybe are not adjusted properly? I hear so often people concerned over high temps but not anyone with low temp problems.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are lots of variables but I have seen many gauges that were all over the place. Some read high some low. The gauge in my Super Cub tends to indicate lower than the guy I fly with regularly. I susupect the gauge is a bit low but it is consistant and well within limits. The aluminum cooler will help if your engine is running at the higher oil temps but the reason I changed was weight and I was able to swap some other parts for a good used one.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed one of the Niagara coolers, as well. I am pretty happy with it. I believe that some oil filter kits won't work with the rear mount cooler. I also think that some alternator conversion kits won't work with the nose mount cooler. You have to decide what you need.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like the Stewart's stc is the way I want to go. I don't have the hole for the factory style cooler in my nose bowl and really prefer the clean look with out it. Does anyone know the part or model number for the cooler Stewart's uses? How about contact information for them. Thanks Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Is the alloy cooler in the 2nd photo the aero classics 8000328 replacement for piper p/n 453 165? It looks bigger than the original.

The original on my PA22-150 leaks from the port side fitting between mount bracket and oil cooler body. Based on the parts catalog drawing it appears that tightening the mounting nut-with-lock-tab is not going stop the leak. Is it likely that the cooler is cracked at the inlet fitting?

Thanks
    Vas

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is either the Aero Classic or the Niagra. Aircraft Spruce carries the Aero Classic if I remember correctly. Same size and direct replacement. Here is one that got loose on the support bracket and wore a hole in the fitting. You can see the light in the grove rubbed through it.

20171013_132324.jpg

20171013_132246.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. That is where it is leaking. Ordered a new one.
    Thanks.
    Once again.

Wow. “Where can I find it?” Right here.
    Often within minutes, as soon as the coffee is on.

Vaš

Post Thanks / Like

0E8C76E0-11BD-4181-9B41-D3D550C0094E.jpg2E687A40-9B58-433E-B77C-F1F8C011D3B8.jpg50EFBEE1-19CF-4761-882A-3A4849B8485E.jpg

I still have a leak. I hope it is just inept install.

I checked for leaks as the engine warmed. All dry and clean at 100F, 120F, and 140F. At 160F the oil cooler fittings appeared dry, but the top of the oil cooler had some pooled oil and the right front corner of the block was wet, as was the right front starter motor mount & bolt, and the under side of the starter motor. Left and center front of block was dry. Back of flywheel and hub was dry. As I sat there a single drop of oil fell to the lower cowl from the lock tab washer on the left cooler mount.

Does dry runup to 140F eliminate crank oil seal as the source of oil leak?
    Is the fresh oil on the lower right of the engine block due to pooling of prop upwash oil mist from left oil cooler fitting?
    Did drips on oil cooler likely come from engine block only after I shut the engine down?

I tightened NPT end of left side AN fitting into oil cooler 1 1/2 turns past finger tight. It felt pretty tight and I was scared to go one more full turn to meet again the oil line. Should I have given it 2 1/2 turns with the wrench?

Thank you.
    Vaš

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would clean very well and then wrap each suspected area with a white rag to isolate and identify the source. I have wire tied and taped the rag or piece of rag in place. The problem I have is the prop blast blows oil around making it hard to identify the source. I have had oil come from crankcase split bolts on the bottom of the engine.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve used baby powder to find oil leaks. Clean and dry the engine. Liberally apply baby powder over suspect areas. Run for about 5 minutes at a time and inspect. The oil will show much like a dye penetrant inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk