Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PA-20 project or run?

piperrocks2013

Default Re: PA-20 project or run?

Seems alright from what the pictures show and like the above mentioned you never get your money back. But again you never do with airplanes I would say do it and make it your own. All be looking for Piper Project next summer for myself and accomplishment feeling. Keep us posted.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Cappt, the Pacer looks pretty straight and not beat up. In such a short time I don't see how they can make such a mess of an airplane. It will be a challenge and I agree with the other guys a pacer should not be parted and then scrapped out. It will cost you a lot less than a number of newer two place airplanes that are not as fast and not as much fun to fly and you will have a new Pacer.

Fred Mayes
    Pacer N7478K

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I've seen blank Piper data plates on eBay. I haven't reinstalled my data plate in the tail yet. Before disassembly my data plate was in the wrong place...riveted to the instrument panel...on our original 1950 Pacers the data plate is wired to the left diagonal tube in the tail aft of the Jack screw. Maybe the former owners didn't know where to look? Might still be there? Andddd...my Pacer was my first fabric airplane rebuild...has come out pretty good...so "you can do it".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats good to know, wired to the left side diagonal in the tail. I wouldn't go the eBay route with this one after it's been officially stricken from the books, just not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

What about going experimental with it?

Post Thanks / Like

If you enjoy The process of rebuilding aircraft go for it however sometimes it's better to write a check for the best one you can find and fly the wings off it good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're already flying, and have something to fly when your not working DO IT. Rebuild it to bone stock, (except for the motor) down to the paint scheme it shouldn't take to long. Find a solid O360 for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Mayes View Post
    Cappt, the Pacer looks pretty straight and not beat up. In such a short time I don't see how they can make such a mess of an airplane. It will be a challenge and I agree with the other guys a pacer should not be parted and then scrapped out. It will cost you a lot less than a number of newer two place airplanes that are not as fast and not as much fun to fly and you will have a new Pacer.

Fred Mayes
    Pacer N7478K
    That was my thought as well, not even wrecked or looped.
    Why pull it apart and then sell without the papers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought a salvaged Tri-Pacer that the owner deregistered. I call the FAA registration branch in OK City and was able to reinstate the airplane. I was damaged in a tornado and totaled by the insurance company. When the owner got his registration card in the mail he maked the destroyed box. I had to plead my case but it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

The basket case engine is likely to drive up the cost of assembly. I am over $7K ($3500 to machine shops) into an O-200 that "only needs assembled" and I still won't be able to call it an overhaul because I didn't do all of the accessories or replace all of the "required" parts. I only put $600 into the cylinders. The biggest problem was corrosion on parts that sat disassembled and unprotected for 4+ years.

Post Thanks / Like

cappt,
    I have heard several good news stories about the OKC Registration Branch. Go for it.