Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: PA-20 project or run?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-20 project or run?

Hi,

.....Didn't a fungicidal go on before the nitrate?

When using cotton fabric it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Do agree...bit sheepish with the direction the thread took. I'm not anything....like what has been discussed. Two A/I's have checked in on me from time to time... But out in the middle of nowhere...can't give the neighbor a call at his shop and say look what I did...
    I/we used every method of communication and visitation you can think of. From video to text to photo to physical visits. My IA was satisfied with the work, and that is what matters. Between his family (Dad is former IA, brother is A&P) plus the other mechanics who stopped by (we are all current or former airline coworkers) everybody was complimentary.

His bottom line comment to me was "you are the one who is going to be flying it and putting your family in it."
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_5467.jpgIMG_5468.jpgIMG_5469.jpgIMG_5470.jpg

Update> I did buy this airframe back for a very reasonable price from the owner. I learned that the aircraft had been diss assembled for recover and overhaul when the owner lost interest or became unable to continue. I passed on the O290D as it was not overhauled or stored in a proper way. What would a core be worth anyway? I would like to go the O320 route in the future. The wings have been used on a different aircraft (clipwing cub?) so they are gone.
    Next order of business will be re-register and truck back to my home state. It will be a long process but the airframe looks to be in the same condition as when I owned it in the nineties.
    Oh yea, the data tag was on the diagonal in the tail and the logbooks all present.
    Maybe I can save an original PA20 from the scrap heap, will post anything worthy. Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    Quite an adventure before you, & when you are done you will KNOW your very pretty, better than new airplane.
    Glad you took the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you for taking on this project! So few PA-20's out there, and even fewer that resemble what they looked like when leaving Lock Haven. What is the S/N?

Post Thanks / Like

It's #20-93.

Post Thanks / Like

First off rebuilding an airplane (almost any airplane) will cost more than buying a flying aircraft.
    If you are young(er than I am at 70) you an figure that the expense spread over several years is the interest you would pay if bought a flyable plane is bought out right.
    If you rebuild you can build it like you wand and know it's condition where with a flyable plane it can be a crap shoot where you have to spend even more to do all of the things you might have to do for the rebuild or might end up being a project itself.
    By the way N7011K S/N 117 is still for sale as a project (in Mobile, AL.).
    If I were younger and still had a current medical I would rebuild N7011K again, but it is for someone else now.
    I saw you bought the project and let me suggest you buy my project and just swap the fuselage as just another part.
    N7011K is still registered!
    Last edited by redbarron55; 10-27-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

let me suggest you buy my project and just swap the fuselage as just another part.
    That might be an option if I'm unable to certify.

Post Thanks / Like

First off rebuilding an airplane (almost any airplane) will cost more than buying a flying aircraft.
    If you are young(er than I am at 70) you an figure that the expense spread over several years is the interest you would pay if bought a flyable plane is bought out right.
    If you rebuild you can build it like you wand and know it's condition where with a flyable plane it can be a crap shoot where you have to spend even more to do all of the things you might have to do for the rebuild or might end up being a project itself.
    By the way N7011K S/N 117 is still for sale as a project (in Mobile, AL.).
    If I were younger and still had a current medical I would rebuild N7011K again, but it is for someone else now.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday I talked to the FAA aircraft registration office and learned a couple things. First, the original N number is available so he told me to reserve it-good news. Second, the aircraft can be re-registered, with a few additional steps, also good. The prior owner wrote something to the effect of this aircraft was dissembled as the reason for de-registering it, (sigh...never volunteer more information) so it has to be proved this is a complete aircraft again. I asked if it needed to be airworthy? No, but will need pictures of it with wings, tail, dataplate, etc. So I was told to fill out the 8050-1C and -2 registering paper work and they will send a letter back with checklist of things and how to complete them. We'll see.