Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Lycoming SB530b

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lycoming SB530b

I'm overhauling the O320 for my Pacer project and need to do Lycoming SB 530b the application of Urethabond 104 on the inside of the crankshaft. Problem is the smallest packaging is 1 Qt. for $100. Any body know where I can get a smaller amount?
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lycoming SB530b

Have you tried calling one of the local engine shops? They might be able to hook you up with a smaller quantity, I've had good luck with my local engine shop for those smaller quantity items.....although you generally pay abit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Who overhauled your crankshaft? They usually apply it then. Aircraft Specialties Services will sell you a small amount.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't need overhaul. All dimensions are still within oem, not just serviceable. Was very surprised at that. I own a machine shop so i have all the micrometers and indicators necessary to check it. No point in sending it out for nothing. I found a place at $70 a quart. I'll have some extra.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    Doesn't need overhaul. All dimensions are still within oem, not just serviceable. Was very surprised at that. I own a machine shop so i have all the micrometers and indicators necessary to check it. No point in sending it out for nothing. I found a place at $70 a quart. I'll have some extra.
    Can you do the magnetic particle inspection? Would Specialties not sell a small quantity? Ask for Bob and tell him I told you to call him.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just looking through the AD's on my engine and found something. On AD 98-02-08 it specifies the O-320-A2B, my engine, as being required for the inspection. But a quick look back at some old AD reports all say NA by hp. This means for at least 20 years the crank hasn't been inspected!
    I do see that the AD states it is limited to 160hp 320 series engines. Does that mean the 150hp engines aren't applicable? Just trying to make sure things are being done right.
    And would it be smart to pull the plug and give it an eyeball regardless?

Post Thanks / Like

True, the 150 hp engines were not required to do the inspection, the idea being it didn't create as much tq on the shaft vs higher horsepower engines.
    When the plug is pulled for the inspection and if it passes (which in most cases it would, there is procedure to get some sort of coating applied to
    help stop any corrosion , if memory serves me correctly.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing a major so the crank is out and did the inspection and coating. Not a trace of any corrosion. It is required on most 4 cyl.engines at overhaul. SB calls for the crank to be out. There was so much sludge in the cavity you couldn't properly clean it otherwise. I bought a quart for $80 and used an ounce. Any body needs some I have plenty.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clarification. I ordered the Welch plug and next time I'm messing around in the hangar I'll take a look just to appease myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk