Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer wing rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer wing rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I'll get back to you on that. I'm almost done disassembling the left wing. Rear spar isn't straight. Has aluminum flat bar added to the angle bar on both sides of the upper web where the wing struts connect to the wing. Tie that to the front spar splice that'll be 4 feet from the wing tip... Not happy with it. I'm almost certain I'll be converting the wings to the 13 rib PA22 160 hp.... And do the aileron move to the wing tip... Stretch the flap.. And decided to use leading edge metal that screws to the spar all the way to the wing tip. Which means... I'll have lots of spar stock if I buy a set of pre drilled Univair spars. Anyway. I'm still at the drain Bramage stage... Haven't figured out exactly what I'll be doing....yet.
    Here's a picture of one of the... This ain't right...[l
    I would imagine shipping is the big problem for you (as always) D&E makes good spar blanks which would be good as you will not have extra holes when you move the ailerons out. I would imagine somebody up there stocks D&E spars.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that sucks! You were flying this wing before right? Looks like it's riddled with feild expedient repairs. It's looking like you may just need to start from scratch. Is there a wing kit or will you be made to pay per individual part?

Post Thanks / Like

Could you fill me in on the aileron/flap extension?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    I would imagine shipping is the big problem for you (as always) D&E makes good spar blanks which would be good as you will not have extra holes when you move the ailerons out. I would imagine somebody up there stocks D&E spars.
    I'm pretty sure Stoddart's has spar extrusions. Extra holes will be in the spar extension.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsrguy3 View Post
    Could you fill me in on the aileron/flap extension?
    Looks like the right wing has been rebuilt three times. Left wing twice. Three ground loops damaging the right wing...and one ground loop or something damaging the left wing...that repair isn't in the log books.
    On the "move the aileron out". I've spoken with Eddie Trimmer many times over the past couple years. Each time asking about his wing STC. The last conversation he gave me the details on what his STC calls for when moving the aileron out, the outboard aileron hinge becomes the inboard aileron hinge. The aileron gets squared at the out board end to match a squared off wing tip or wing tip of some type. I'm using the cross wind STOL wing tips. The old inboard aileron hinge location becomes the flap outboard hinge. A lengthened flap will have three hinges. The flap controls get moved to the center of the flap. The aileron controls get moved also. Eddie uses 1/16" cable and turn buckles to create another cross brace for the wing extension. He didn't say anything about adding another cross bar between the front and rear spars at the end of the wing extension where the cross brace wires connect... I'd imagine it's suppose to be there...I'm adding it. I'm also adding leading edge skin that wraps around to the spars all the way to the wing tip.. Then Eddie wants me to do CAD drawings of the modification.

Post Thanks / Like

Very very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

What would you charge a feller for a copy of said CAD drawings? That is if Eddie's STC isn't off the ground in a year or two.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Eddie wants to use the drawings for his STC. His present drawings call out things he doesn't want like covering the flaps with aluminum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Nope. Tearing down the left wing. Found repairs not in the log book. Spar splice and four ribs.
    That looks like the appoved spar splice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tloes View Post
    Jim:

A friend (in Iowa) needs a set of wings. If you'd like to unload them, send a PM with some condition info and price. It would be awfully nice to find a set not too far away and St. Louis is within the radius of "not too far".

Best regards,

Todd
    I'll be in touch.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member