Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacer wing rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer wing rebuild

As will I.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    I'm pretty sure Stoddart's has spar extrusions. Extra holes will be in the spar extension.
    I'm confused by this, If you were to use cub length blank extrusions, why would there be an extension? Or am I missing something?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Ah... My bad. If I were using PA22 wing spars, all the ribs, cross brace wires and structure remains in the same location. A spar extensions will be modified to fit the aileron move. If I stick with the super cub spars....no extension, just cut to length.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Ah... My bad. If I were using PA22 wing spars, all the ribs, cross brace wires and structure remains in the same location. A spar extensions will be modified to fit the aileron move. If I stick with the super cub spars....no extension, just cut to length.
    Ok Sorry, now I understand. I am in the process of assembling my wings. I want to add the 18 inches on the end of my wings, then put a homemade Stewart type wing bow on the end of that, move the ailerons out to the end and increase the flap, keep the standard aileron profile blended into the stewart type tip. Unfortunately I have standard piper spars so I have to do an extension. Not sure if I should make the bow out of aluminum tube or steel tube. I have never seen the parts callout for the Stewart STC so I am just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    Ok Sorry, now I understand. I am in the process of assembling my wings. I want to add the 18 inches on the end of my wings, then put a homemade Stewart type wing bow on the end of that, move the ailerons out to the end and increase the flap, keep the standard aileron profile blended into the stewart type tip. Unfortunately I have standard piper spars so I have to do an extension. Not sure if I should make the bow out of aluminum tube or steel tube. I have never seen the parts callout for the Stewart STC so I am just guessing.
    Here you go.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Here you go.
    Outstanding, Thank you so much!

Do you think that is a smaller rig after the aileron rib? Any idea what EMT tubing is? Conduit? I am going to try to keep the outline similar to the regular piper bow. Not sure how that will shake out.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Jim; 04-12-2016 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    Outstanding, Thank you so much!

Do you think that is a smaller rig after the aileron rib? Any idea what EMT tubing is? Conduit? I am going to try to keep the outline similar to the regular piper bow. Not sure how that will shake out.

Gary
    I can tell you what I have in my wings. The rib at the end of the aileron has an extra piece attached to make it full length. The tip rib is a Univair J-3 rib, not a butt rib, just a full size one. My ailerons were not done exactly as shown with a piece of trailing edge covering the curve, the rebuilder bought two new inboard ribs and new aileron TE stock and made them completely square, he just used the inboard ribs on the opposite wings (left inboard rib is the outboard end of the right aileron, etc.)

I think the biggest problem you'll have with trying to maintain the Piper shape is support. The stock bows have several diagonals to support it and probably also to limit up and down movement.

Good luck!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

pistoncan, EMT stands for "electro metallic tubing" or "electrical metallic tubing." Used for LOTS of things besides running wires in. These are terrible pics (still in winter storage), but here's my home-made garden cart. Used a tubing bender.

DSC05083.jpgDSC05084.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

This is cool... Found this inside the left flap spar.