Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

I already received the aero-space report. I ordered the ones from FAA also (not realizing it was the same info). Steve, it looks like you repaired the wings and fuselage back in '05 from a hard landing incident. That gives me a breath of relief that it was repaired and recovered correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So You Think You Want To Own a Short Wing Piper? The Pre-Purchase Inspection

Did you buy it from Gary Bomar? If so you got a good fuselage and wings. My Dad covered the wings. Haven't seen it since he picked up the parts.

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one. I spoke with the A&P that did most of the work David Sindelar in Portland, TN. He's sounds pretty knowledgeable and has owned a couple Tripacers. I'm going to put eyeballs on it Tuesday - Thursday. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find another A&P familiar with these birds to fly out and meet me. Having owned a few auto repair shops over the last 15 years, I'm not familiar with aircraft. I know that even the best technicians can miss something. Always nice to have a second set of eyeballs when possible. Is anyone on this board that is in this area? Of course I'd pay a handsome ransom. Or at least what's fair

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It has a like new fuselage and wings that are probably worth the asking price if you were to buy the parts and pay the labor.

Post Thanks / Like

Those wings are basically new. They were covered with Polyfiber and top coat with easy to repair Polytone.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I saw the pics that Steve posted. Nice.
    While reviewing the Title and Registration info, I see that the records essentially start when the aircraft got rebuilt ground up. I'm guessing new Title, Registration, N number at that time. When inspecting, I presume I still need to verify older AD's have been done and placards as needed? Also, new equipment such as alternator, oil coolers, toe brakes, etc need to have log entry and associated STC? Even though its built up from scratch?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It was not built from scratch. It was repaired after an accident. Was the N number changed? Airplane should conform to the Typer Certificate Data Sheet or of documentation (STC or field approvals) for the alterations.

Post Thanks / Like

Your correct. Looking over logs and records it was repaired after accident. All records back to 1960 and all proper documentation after accident with original N number. I don't know why the report didn't include any data before the accident? I did order records direct from FAA. Curious to see if it differs from aero-space reports?

Post Thanks / Like

Well after further review.... I was wrong (hey it happens sometimes). I did receive the the info from FAA. All documentation WAS in the Aerospace reports. I just needed to to scroll further down to see it. Both have the same info. The aerospace report is laid out and separated in separate files (Bill of sales, Registrations, Airworthiness). The FAA just in a pile of copies. If you know what your looking at, the FAA report is the way to go at 5 bucks.
    Last edited by J Ryd; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is nice to have both.
    There are items I would have missed if I only had the FAA disk.
    The aerospace report was delivered very quickly when I ordered it. I think the FAA data arrived in 3 weeks.