Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do... I complete the currency requirements with one approach!

I have 31" Bushwheels with a Baby Bushwheel tailwheel/glider tire/tube. I was running about 7 psi in the mains and it made me look really, really good on the landings. However it took about 400' to get off the ground at sea level, grass/gravel strip.

I raised the tire pressure to 10 psi and shortened the take off roll by about 75' but it made the landings a bit more entertaining.

For those who are running Bushwheels, where is the sweet spot for tire pressure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

I don't ever put the tire gauge on them but my Pacer was probably around 6-7 psi. I run 4-5 in the Super Cub but don't like how hard it is to push it out of the hanger. What is your take-off procedure? I would pull a notch of flaps, get the tail up a bit and when she got light pull the rest of the flaps and the yoke.

Post Thanks / Like

I run 8 psi in mine now, I've ran as much as 10-12 psi before I got the clearance needed to stop caliper rub. At 10-12 psi if my technique or timing was off at all I bounced it pretty bad too. I have not ran them as low as Steve has but with the 8 psi my take off is between 350 and 400 feet...most of the time when lite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I don't ever put the tire gauge on them but my Pacer was probably around 6-7 psi. I run 4-5 in the Super Cub but don't like how hard it is to push it out of the hanger. What is your take-off procedure? I would pull a notch of flaps, get the tail up a bit and when she got light pull the rest of the flaps and the yoke.
    Thanks Steve, depending on the strip (grass or gravel), I will put in 1 notch of flaps, hold the line and throttle up (I don't hold the brakes on gravel to save the prop). I don't raise the tail, but when I feel it move I'll add gentle back pressure on the yoke and let it fly off. I have a baby Bushwheel on the tail, so there is less rolling resistance to the tailwheel.

I haven't tried grabbing flaps on the take off roll yet (need and EZ Flap but need to recover from the Bushwheels and Borer prop). I know that this is suggested in the POH, but the static shoulder harness, and my paranoia will not easily permit me to lean forward. I like your recommendation of pulling full flaps from a pre-loaded first notch. I'll have to try that.

I did hear one good argument for raising the tail early though for short strips; it improves visibility for the roll. This makes it easier to avoid big rocks, logs, bushes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    I run 8 psi in mine now, I've ran as much as 10-12 psi before I got the clearance needed to stop caliper rub. At 10-12 psi if my technique or timing was off at all I bounced it pretty bad too. I have not ran them as low as Steve has but with the 8 psi my take off is between 350 and 400 feet...most of the time when lite.
    Thank you for the confirmation.

Post Thanks / Like

I run about 8 psi in my 29's. My usual takeoff is to start with 1 notch flaps, lift tail, then immediately pull in more flaps and pull back. I have the EZ flap handle. About same as what Steve does.

I usually take off on a paved surface.
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-27-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I run about 8 psi in my 29's. My usual takeoff is to start with 1 notch flaps, lift tail, then immediately pull in more flaps and pull back. I have the EZ flap handle. About same as what Steve does.
    Have you measured your take off roll? Are you using paved or gravel/grass?

I'm going to try pulling full flaps next time out and see if I can measure a difference...

Thanks for the feedback

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Steve. When you do pull the second half of flaps it is a smooth application. When it is done right it feels like you are lifting the plane off the ground with the flaps. It takes a little while to get the timing right, if you are too early the tailwheel will let you know. In my cub 6 lbs is about right for everyday flying. On tar the softer the tire the longer the takeoff roll. Flaps will get you off the ground a lot sooner with or without a soft tire.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. I have measured my takeoff and I am breaking ground at about 200 feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Yes. I have measured my takeoff and I am breaking ground at about 200 feet.
    Holy short take off Batman! That is what I'm looking for. Please tell me more... H.P.? Prop? Empty weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by efrench View Post
    Holy short take off Batman! That is what I'm looking for. Please tell me more... H.P.? Prop? Empty weight?
    180 hp

82 inch prop

1060 empty weight-on certified scales.

Done at sea level on pavement, cool day no wind.

How did that Producer stop in 30 feet? What was his takeoff distance?