Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't always fly with 10 psi in the Bushwheels, but when I do...

Got the bushwheels on today. Easy as 1...
    Pretty happy with the end result.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And for anyone that hasnt been around bushwheels, heres a pic of an 8.50 next to a 31" bushwheel for comparison
    Also I gained five and a half inches in height going from the 8.50's to the 31's.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!! A lot different than the plane I dropped off 3 years ago. You have done a great job of fixing up the old girl. I will show the picture to Tom. I would stop down but running hard here the next two months. We have a open room for you and the wife if you come this way.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking craft! The Bushwheels are the perfect addition.

I've been running 8 psi which really makes my landings look really good... however the rolling resistance is noticeable. I bumped it back to 10 and chopped about 75' from my takeoff roll but back to the old bouncing... you would think that I would figure that out by now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking good.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you have 31's mounted, the next step is a bigger tailwheel. I used the Alaska Bushwheels 3200B fork, and wheel adapter and then mounted a 10" glider tire/tube (in compliance with the ABW STC). The Baby Bushwheel is very nice and provides a bit more floatation, however it is as soft as the mains and has a reputation of a shorter life.

This addition made a significant difference on my takeoff roll. The standard 3200 dug in and worked like an anchor in sand and softer surfaces. It will add 4 pounds and will raise the tail a few inches, but well worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

So, a couple things i noticed after a week of flying the bushwheels...
    1. For a nice comfortable takeoff, like when i have non aviation passengers, I like to lighten the tail but not pull the tailwheel off the ground and as I gain speed, ease back on the controls to the point where I'm actually pulling on the yolk and leaving the ground. With the bushwheels i find that i just go into ground affect and settle back down, then back into geound affect. Like there is too much angle of attack. I actually eed to raise the tail 6 inches or so to get the plane to fly off.
    2. Wheel landings are super easy. Can we say grease them on?
    3. Three pointers not so much. When i try to do a full true three point, i loose lift and stall a couple feet off the runway and splat it on. If I dont try a true and just kinda hold my position on the yolk and wait for the tail to drop before pulling full back it wheel hops. Not horrible, they never fully leave the ground, mainly annoying.
    4. Haven't checked top end but my favorite cruise speed 85 mph now only takes 2200rpm instead of 2300. Anyone know the reason why? I have some theories.
    Are my experiences true to the bushwheel experience, or do I need more practice?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I avoid pavement like the plague! True 3 pointers generally work well for me, however I have a propensity for bouncing a bit at 10 psi. Wheel landings are greasers.... occasional Scotty... I like the method described by ContactFlying (BackCountry Pilot Forum) as an apparent "fast walk rate of approach. So, I will begin on downwind to slow to 70, and 1 notch. On final I am slowing to 60 and continue to slow as the distance closes, and touching at about 35-40 indicated. The rate of descent is about 500 fpm, so a shot of throttle over the threshold works great to arrest the descent. If short or clearing obstacles on approach, I'll use full flaps, but not necessarily on a clean approach.

My normal take off is one notch of flaps, accelerate with a neutral yoke, as soon as the tail begins to lift, gentle back pressure and it flies off. For short strips, I'll pull full flaps and back pressure on the yoke when the tail comes up. I have experienced the up and down effect on take off, even with 8.50's which greatly extends the takeoff run. Sometimes better to let it roll on the mains for more speed before pulling it up.

I have been working on and off of 400' of grass with one passenger, full gas and survival gear. (Calm wind, seal level or below on density altitude). However, the bushwheels do not brake well on wet grass; might as well be on ice!

My O320 is happiest at 2450 which gets about 95-100 mph. However I was flying with a cub and had to trim for 80 which was about 2200 (6.6 gph though!).

So, generally, I am always practicing and gaining more experience! After about 100 hours this summer, things are beginning to work like expected.

I am rambling... hopefully that answers some questions and adds some perspective.

By the way, nice pic on the beach. I have not yet mastered the beach landings. I am doing well and safe, but always get a sizeable but soft bounce on the up-hill tire before settling in. I'll get more practice as opportunity presents...

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I always carried it in with power and could three point without any issues, stock wings and tail feathers.