Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanton stretch pacer purchase advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blanton stretch pacer purchase advice

I found an experimental stretch pacer for sale that was listed on this site done by Blanton specs according to the builder. The wings were extended as well as flaps and ailerons. Unfortunately he didn't add long range tanks. A baggage door added. The attached images is all I have so far. the builder is an older guy in Michigan who doesn't have a computer. His sister in law was nice enough to scan and send me these from when they were doing weight and balance 20 years ago. He said he flew it 140 hours but could never get it to cool right. He started to convert it to an aircraft engine by closing off the radiator vents in the fuselage and lost interest or was getting to old to finish it is how he phrased it to me. He "deregistered it to sell it due to liability"

He said he has his builders logs as well as the old registration and lots of build pictures and Blanton plans.
    I asked him to get me some current pictures which he is trying to do for me
    I have several concerns. First how tough it might be to get it re-registered, second the gear angle looks raked very far forward. I was hoping to use an 0360 lycoming with a fixed pitch prop due to weight simplicity and cost. But am concerned without extending the motor mount forward that I won't be able to get the cg right.

I live in north Idaho so I want to be sure before I drive all the way there to get it that it's feasible to get this plane flying again.

Thanks for for your thoughts in advance

Jamie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Blanton stretch pacer purchase advice

Dave Blanton used the rear Tri-Pacer gear fitings and just turn the gear around.
    There is a Dr. in Couer D'Alene that flys a Blanton stretched Pacer, He removed the Ford V6 and installed a O-360.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that is why they look so odd. Are they sturdy enough that way or do they impose
    bad angles of stress into the fuselage?

i messaged the guy in Coure D'alene on the supercubs site but have not heard back

Thanks

jamie

Post Thanks / Like

When Ed changed to the O-360 he changed the gear legs to Supercub.I have his Ford V6 with the reduction drive sitting in my hanger. Maybe I can build an airboat or something.

Where are you located?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave

I am in Sandpoint Idaho about 45 mins from Coure D'alene

my main concern is how hard will it be to get it re-registered and if I don't change the legs out for more
    conventional ones then my cg will be off later.

thanks

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like

Can you get a bill of sale and the old registration?
    Call the GADO in Spokane and ask what you need to re-register.

I have a friend in Tekoa, WA that knows more about these Piper fuselages than he cares to. If anyone knows, it will be him.
    Give me an PM at dgmoore12@yahoo.com and I will tell him to call.

In fact he will probably see this before we can quess much more.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I can get a bill of sale I hope he still has the old registration

i will shoot you an email

thanks

jamie

Post Thanks / Like

Changing the gear to a conventional stance involves adding the landing gear fitting to station 1 and then using a standard pacer gear of some kind. The present front landing gear fitting will then be the rear landing gear fitting for the conventional gear. This change should not change the location of the wheels in relationship to the fuselage and should have very little effect on weight and balance. Removing the cooling lines and radiators will have an effect on weight and balance but I think it will be for the good. Adding a heavier O360 using a standard piper type mount should balance out your longer tail. I do not think you will have a problem in this regard.

Regarding the registration, I would hope you could us the old paperwork as the plane is basically a chopped up piper pacer and although they got away with it back then, you might have problems getting it registered as such now.
    Last edited by pistoncan; 07-03-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think pistoncan is correct about using a regular engine mount, the Producer which is extended 2 feet keeps the standard mount. This should be an excellent airplane with an 0360. Hopefully, reregistration works out.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your knowledge this is pretty new to me having only done one homebuilt before.
    Does anyone know someone qualified I could hire in the area to do a pre-buy inspection?

thanks again

jamie