Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing STC

Took the fabric off the wings of my pacer , what a mess I need to totally rebuild. Anybody know if the STC is done to extend the flaps and move aileron out to the tip? (Has Ferguson extensions and tips ) or if anybody has paper work for a field approval now would be the time to do it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing STC

Found the Plane Booster instructions .pdf at supercub.org http://www.supercub.org/forum/attach...8&d=1370715484

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbudd View Post
    Took the fabric off the wings of my pacer , what a mess I need to totally rebuild. Anybody know if the STC is done to extend the flaps and move aileron out to the tip? (Has Ferguson extensions and tips ) or if anybody has paper work for a field approval now would be the time to do it
    There is no STC to extend flaps and move the aileron out. I have worked more than 5 years unsuccessfully on this STC. It would be quite expensive to pay DER to do the work, with little value for the STC. I am looking into the Bushmaster currently.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Trimmer supposedly has an STC in process. But its been years so I've no idea where its at. He's done several on field approvals but I got no idea on what that would take.

Post Thanks / Like

The Ferguson STC is a very good modification, similar to most of the current wing tip mods available currently, but is no longer available. I changed the old wooden wing tip rib to a stamped metal rib on my plane. The drooped tip is as effective as the Horner tips. You can add 4 inches to the inboard flap using the X Winds STC. I am not sure what you want to field approve. Control system mods are very difficult to field approve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Eddie Trimmer supposedly has an STC in process. But its been years so I've no idea where its at. He's done several on field approvals but I got no idea on what that would take.
    Last time I talked to him he was not working on this STC. His field approvals were done a long time ago. I would love to see him move ahead on this STC.

Enlarging the flaps and moving the aileron increases shear and torsion loads and the FAA wants these loads accounted for and mitigated and the aircraft tested. This is a lengthy process.

Post Thanks / Like

The tips do help but the roll rate suffers I know a couple super Cubs that they extended the wings and ailerons out was hoping someone had done it with a pacer. I have a fisdo that said if I could come up with 337 that had been done he would field approve it

Post Thanks / Like

image.jpgimage.jpgThis is what we did with the exp cub. Moved the ailerons in for flaps and added 9.5 " to pa22 ailerons

Post Thanks / Like

Last fall when I bought Eddie's stc's he was saying the guy (don't know what guy) finished up some stuff and was starting on his paperwork. Sounding like some engineer calculating what you where talking about. Eddie sounded hopeful that it was getting traction again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing STC

Spoke with Eddie a month ago...before ordering the wing ribs, leading edge metal to the tip, false spars and 4 tank bay false spars.....and longer spars...no spar splice.....and two extra aileron hinge assemblies for use as the third hinge on the flaps. So anyway... Eddie purchased the FAA approved software to do the stress analysis on the wing modification and gave it to the DER who is supposed to do the work. But DER is busy and hasn't gotten to it. I offered Eddie some money to throw at the DER to get it done...I've since called twice....Eddie has called the guy... nada. So....Through an attorney friend in Stockton I've been put in contact with an aeronautical engineer who does the design specs for repairing damage to jet aircraft. He uses CadKey solids....my drawings are in Cadkey 97. Says he can use my PRT. files. He will do the engineering and documentation for the 337. As soon as I get the wing parts from Dakota Cub...I'll measure all the skin thickness, spar and spar reenforcement dimensions....figure out the structure I'll be using when the flap hinge is moved to what is the stock outboard flap hinge location...then send him the drawings.... I think this'll pass FAA muster. The wings will only be extended by 7-1/8" per side not including the crosswind STOL wing tips. One extra drag strut and cross brace set up per side. By the time I'm done I'll have the weight of the additional parts and pieces greater than the stock wing parts weight. Wing parts are in Anchorage...yellow freight can't tell me which air cargo outfit will haul the wing parts crate to Bethel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk