Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 onboard fire

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 onboard fire

Interesting accident with the pilot reporting smoke and fire behind the left rudder pedal after takeoff. The three birds in the cockpit is a strange one and a nest had to be somewhere I reckon. The picture in the article reminds me I need to get Steve's gasolator STC.

Pictures and article : http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...ured/84340986/

NTSB Identification: ERA16LA183

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
    Accident occurred Friday, May 13, 2016 in Gallatin, TN
    Aircraft: PIPER PA 22, registration: N5823Z
    Injuries: 3 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On May 13, 2016, about 1430 central daylight time, a Piper PA-22, N5823Z, was substantially damaged during a forced landing and subsequent loss of control while attempting to land runway 17 at Sumner County Regional Airport (M33) Gallatin, Tennessee. During the initial climb after takeoff from runway 35, a fire developed and filled the cockpit with smoke. The pilot returned for landing and after touchdown, he lost control and veered off into the grass, where the nose gear collapsed, causing the airplane to tip forward onto the nose. The private pilot and his two passengers were uninjured. The airplane was operated by a private individual as a local pleasure flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and no flight plan was filed. The flight was conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

During a phone interview with the pilot, he stated that when he showed up to the airplane to conduct his preflight, the cockpit area contained "3 live baby birds." He did not see any sign of a nest, but did notice that the one of the elevator "holes" was not covered up by a rag that he placed in it several months before. He resumed his preflight and did not find anything else unusual.

The pilot said he started the engine and taxied for about 5 minutes before taking runway 35 for departure. During the initial climb, at about 100ft above ground level, black smoke started pouring into the cockpit from behind the left rudder pedal area. The pilot attempted to make a 180 degree steep turn back to runway 17. During the turn, fire started coming out of the left side of the rudder pedals. The pilot stated he attempted to stomp out the fire near his left foot but was unable to extinguish the blaze. The cockpit filled up with smoke and limited visual sight of the runway. He touched down between 30 and 40 knots but could not see the runway at all.

A witness reported that after touching down on the runway, the "tail started going back and forth." The airplane departed the left side of the paved surface of the runway and nosed over into the grass approximately two thirds of the way down. After it came to rest, the passengers and pilot evacuated before the airplane became completely engulfed in flames.

The wreckage was retained by the NTSB for further examination.
    Justin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-22 onboard fire

Curious as to where the fire started, maybe the nest was in the muffler shroud. I wonder if he opened the doors and window? Having had a cockpit fire several years ago I can attest to how scary it is with no where to go.

piperrocks2013

I have read this story on Facebook, I believe a father was taking his daughter. Anyhow my theory is the gascolator was leaking and filled the bottom plate with fuel. Old electrical wire from the starter or field could of very well started it. I seen pictures of the plane and I guess it burnt up fast!!! However it started be assured it was fuel that was supplying the fire till the fabric ignited.

Jared
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 08-07-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    I have read this story on Facebook, I believe a father was taking his daughter. Anyhow my theory is the gascolator was leaking and filled the bottom plate with fuel. Old electrical wire from the starter or field could of very well started it. I seen pictures of the plane and I guess it burnt up fast!!! However it started be assured it was fuel that was supplying the fire till the fabric ignited.

Jared
    Actually, the owner was flying his two Grandsons with him. Check out the report on line at Kathrynsreport.com
    The accident date was May 13,2016
    The Grandsons pulled their Grand Dad out the aircraft, it then blew up in flames shortly thereafter. He was lucky they were along with him.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by airbusflyboy View Post
    Actually, the owner was flying his two Grandsons with him. Check out the report on line at Kathrynsreport.com
    The accident date was May 13,2016
    The Grandsons pulled their Grand Dad out the aircraft, it then blew up in flames shortly thereafter. He was lucky they were along with him.

Wow!!! Sorry for the wrong info.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder want type of preflight he did? After sitting for a extended period of time who knows what could happen. Rag missing indicates he probably has had some problems in the past with pests. Baby birds and no nest?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the fabric wasn't supposed to burn, I suppose as it gets older it loses its fireproofing. This is an alarming accident if our aircraft fabric can burn so easily. I have older fabric but it still tests good.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kelliots View Post
    I thought the fabric wasn't supposed to burn, I suppose as it gets older it loses its fireproofing. This is an alarming accident if our aircraft fabric can burn so easily. I have older fabric but it still tests good.
    Every Fabric I worked with new or old burns like old wall paper. This is why I'm against acetylene and oxygen welding on airplane that are still covered. No matter how careful one is the damn thing still caught fire. Luckily being prepared we had it out before any serious trouble was to begin. Ask me. Tig welding so much more concentrated less chance of fire... but not impossible. Only fabric I have seeing being very fire proof was Oratex 6000. All I could do is burn holes in it all day long but actually never caught fire. I would be happy to recover with Oratex as it's advantages are great but just to expensive for us Canadians and are poor $$$

But don't get paranoid now. To have any fabric burn you need a fuel and ignition. There has not been to many stories of planes catching fire and if they did there source of fuel was obviously the planes fuel in combination of either electrical, hot exhaust etc. It will not make any difference if you are in a fabric plane with fire proof fabric or a metal tin can, once the fuel ignites it be minutes even seconds before you your passengers and the plane become BBQ. My advise good maintenance and good walk arounds are the key to success.

Merry Christmas
    Jared
    Last edited by piperrocks2013; 12-25-2016 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you think fabric burns at a fat rate look what's left after a composite plane catches fire. This was a home built Cozy MK-IV that had a short in the electrical system. This is what three minutes of uncontrolled fire does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-CAS View Post
    If you think fabric burns at a fat rate look what's left after a composite plane catches fire. This was a home built Cozy MK-IV that had a short in the electrical system. This is what three minutes of uncontrolled fire does.
    Nothing little epoxy glue couldn't fix.
    Wow!

Jared