Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 onboard fire

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 onboard fire

I had some wings I stripped the fabric off that were done in stits. The fabric really didn't burn well in my burn pit.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, have burned old fabric (stitts) taken off a plane and it does not burn. It does self extinguish. However, that is without a fuel source. Fuel burns...WELL.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Old3pacer View Post
    I, too, have burned old fabric (stitts) taken off a plane and it does not burn. It does self extinguish. However, that is without a fuel source. Fuel burns...WELL.
    Really?? Because I know anything convered using Nitrate. Ask Steve's Aircraft restoration if I recall he refuses to cover with Nitrate and I'm sure he can elaborate. Know I have not tested poly system so I can't speak what it does. But other processes went up in flames including cotten.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Look on the stits website. If you don't believe them I'll send you a piece to try to burn. I don't work for stits or sell any of their products either.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Look on the stits website. If you don't believe them I'll send you a piece to try to burn. I don't work for stits or sell any of their products either.
    Dont disbelive you at all. The fabric I played with was 20 years old even though still in good shape. Times have changed. Good to know that my poly bird will not lite up like old drywall paper Of course if there is a fuel fire which is 90% of the fires nothing is really going to help you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-CAS View Post
    If you think fabric burns at a fat rate look what's left after a composite plane catches fire. This was a home built Cozy MK-IV that had a short in the electrical system. This is what three minutes of uncontrolled fire does.
    I remember when this happened, I have Cozy IV plans and was on the mailing list for years. Brian had a beautiful airplane and it was gone nearly instantly.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    Nothing little epoxy glue couldn't fix.
    Wow!

Jared

Jared Bad Joke!! Sorry I thought it was one of those stories where a guy does something really stupid or another LSA shouldn't be built, nevertheless flying. But this Poor guy put a lot work into the plane and was quite sad reading it. Here is his site

http://www.deford.com/cozy/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The old nitrate/but rate process is extremely flammable and has been a key selling point with Poly-Fiber. Like posted above, it is self extinguishing. My daughter was covering surfaces for Rare Bear the unlimited Bearcats that races at Reno. they wanted very tight fabric and opted for nitrate system because nitrate will shrink the fabric even more than just the heat. She had a runaway iron over temp when she was ironing with nitrate already applied and it ignited and burned. Got it out fast but opened her eyes. I had done the same thing while patching a hole from an AD antenna 20 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever wonder why WWI planes burned so well?? It was because they used Nitrate. Butyrate was a little better. If you have seen the Ray Stits video he demonstrates the burn resistance of his products. One of the advantages he was very proud of.

"Typical doping agents include nitrocellulose, cellulose acetate and cellulose acetate butyrate. Liquid dopes are highly flammable; nitrocellulose, for instance, is also known as the explosive propellant "guncotton".
    Last edited by wyandot jim; 12-26-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piperrocks2013 View Post
    Really?? Because I know anything convered using Nitrate. Ask Steve's Aircraft restoration if I recall he refuses to cover with Nitrate and I'm sure he can elaborate. Know I have not tested poly system so I can't speak what it does. But other processes went up in flames including cotten.

Jared
    Your right, I will Not do a nitrate cover job.... Nitrate dopes equals flammable

Poly is hard to keep burning without a fuel
    source...

Stewart Systems is better even than Poly Fiber... that stuff just won't burn...

Never messed with Oratex so have no opinion...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk