Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Wing Tank Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing Tank Installation

Does anyone have a good technique for pulling the tank straps together so that you can get a nut and washer on the stainless tensioner for the wing tank straps?
    Also, does anyone know whether the strut that goes through the tank is in compression or tension? I doubt it has much force on it at all but it seems it is set up to take both types of loads but I can't get my head wrapped around its real purpose since it is so close to the wing root.
    Thanks for any tips or tricks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wing Tank Installation

Quote Originally Posted by stretchedpacer View Post
    Does anyone have a good technique for pulling the tank straps together so that you can get a nut and washer on the stainless tensioner for the wing tank straps?
    Pair of Knipex pliers. Water pump pliers work as well.
    https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-860318...s=tools+knipex

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stretchedpacer View Post
    Also, does anyone know whether the strut that goes through the tank is in compression or tension? I doubt it has much force on it at all but it seems it is set up to take both types of loads but I can't get my head wrapped around its real purpose since it is so close to the wing root.
    Thanks for any tips or tricks.
    Compression and tension. It takes the place of a drag and anti-drag wire, it keeps the spars square.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the IB tab on the through the tank diagonal member break this summer. It will get your attention!
    been meaning to do a full write up to post here but I've been busy.

It took about 30 deg yoke deflection to keep her level.

more about it later...

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

anxious to here the details, pics if you have any Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips. I had actually tried to use water pump pliers with limited success. Started thinking about it yesterday and realized what my problem was. I used a rubber tank strap cushion material I got from spruce rather than felt to separate the tank straps from the tanks. The stuff is quite a bit thicker than compressed felt as it turns out. I took the tanks and carry through out tonight and will replace the cushion material with felt this weekend. I expect it will make the difference. So, for those of you who are experimental like I am, might be best to use what Piper used if you use Piper dimensions (that probably should have been obvious to me - but it wasn't).
    Also, on the tank carry through ... so much for my theory that it probably doesn't take much in the way of flight loads. I will be interested to hear the story Rocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had the same issue. I got tired of paying $200 to Univair for the proper felt. I tried lots of different felt products from McMaster Carr but had issues getting the tank in without sticking up into the tank cover. I finally found the drawing for the felt and found a vendor. I had to buy quite a bit of it so I started selling it with my aluminum inspection grommets. Exact same stuff Piper used and it works correctly.
    https://www.freewebstore.org/PierceA...61_115078.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

To pull straps and things together sometimes I use safety wire. Pull it as tight as You can and then twist it like a trurnbuckle. Put in your bolts and remove the wire.