Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 20 of 57 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

If I added up everything correctly, you will be over 31 foot wing span.

It looks like your ribs are Dakota's but, the one picture has the rib disassembled?

The wings material looks like almost everything is new?

How long will your flap be?
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-10-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    If I added up everything correctly, you will be over 31 foot wing span.

It looks like your ribs are Dakota's but, the one picture has the rib disassembled?

The wings material looks like almost everything is new?
    Yup....most of the wing/s aluminum was toast...especially the right wing I bent when the right gear leg failed. Many of the ribs were repaired improperly...as in patches ahead and behind the spars...
    These wings sport Dakota Cub ribs, full length spars, tanks, leading edge skin..bunch of aileron and flap parts. Was short some stuff....sourced the remaining from Stoddard's and Univair.

Disassembled one rib to enable installation of the formed angle...the formed angle is flush with the rib surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmoyle; 12-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What will be the length of the flaps and the ailerons?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    What will be the length of the flaps and the ailerons?
    Steve,

Per Eddies web site..

Move the aileron outboard 24" and then extends the flap outboard & inboard to the fuselage, as a part of this STC we may include the installation of an additional 18 gallon tank in either or both wings.

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke with Eddie. STC engineering isn't done...maybe after the first of the year. Still has a problem with the rear spar strength. May need to remove the angle and flat bar from both sides of the rear spar and replace with 1/8" aluminum plate both side of the spar, same length as the aluminum angle. I asked about strengthening the rear spar by boxing in the false spar from the tank bay piece to the end of the wing, on the bottom side...full wing lenght...attach to the rear spar just like the leading edge is. Rivet to the false spar. Use either .016" or .020" 2024T3. That'll increase the rear spar strength nearly 15% by putting the skin under tension. Didn't get anywhere with that suggestion....would weigh less than two 1/8" x 3" x 40" aluminum plates on each spar...shortening the flap hinge, mill or buy the correct thickness aluminum bar to fit the "Z" brace.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

BTW: Eddie says if he had a do over he would not install the two additional 18 gallon fuel tanks.

Here's the wing tip mount rib assemblies.. ready to dimple... but will have to wait until I have the leading edge skin on. The small square piece of aluminum...gets riveted on the inside...its for joining the the skins together at the butt joint.
    Last edited by mmoyle; 12-11-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume Eddie is trying to increase strength to the rear spar at the strut attachment. The Bushmaster did it by layering aluminum plates and strips. I had to modify the compression struts and the hinge brackets. There is a picture on my thread from last winter. I did box in around the false spar at the flap and aileron actuators. When I tried to do the same STC that Eddie is doing he and I did some talking. We had similar but slightly different approaches. The FAA hung me up on testing procedures. They would not commit on exactly what they wanted. It could have been a full wing distraction or very expensive flight tests, hiring a test pilot, spin tests..... Hopefully, Eddie has this all worked out.

Sounds like you will about an 80" flap. Sounds great. I really enjoy seeing your quality work.
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Preemptively ordered the rear spar reinforcement material and parts after speaking with Eddie again today. Working on the outboard tank bay rib for the Dakota Cub 24 gallon tanks. Want the fuel tank covers to fit flush...don't like the appearance or fit of most I've seen. Will be using counter sunk nut plates around the perimeter....
    Added stepped angle to the next rib outboard of the outer tank bay rib...BTW....its made using 6061T6 X .032". Skin is 2024T3 X .025".

Post Thanks / Like

Making the landing light mounting assembly. Installed nut plates to enable removal of the taxi and landing light assembly for up/down adjustment.....also installing nut plates to make it easy to change bulbs as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Inner workings of the taxi/landing light done. Not sure which light to use for the taxi light? Use the flood light with the widest coverage horizontal. Landing light is a beam light pattern... right?