Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: CAD File for New Panel? DXF?

Post Thanks / Like

Default CAD File for New Panel? DXF?

1955 Tri-Pacer 150

I am planning to replace the instrument panels currently installed in my craft. I am wondering if anyone has a 2D cad file in DXF format that is already done that I might use to get started? Perhaps someone else has already done this and could share the file? I'd like to move some things around and maybe organize the instruments a bit better.

Regards
    Russ

IMG_20230418_113007656_HDR.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: CAD File for New Panel? DXF?

Panel planner software. After graphically design it you then convert it to DXF. Then CNC router guy converts that to M codes.
    At least that’s what I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Panel planner software. After graphically design it you then convert it to DXF. Then CNC router guy converts that to M codes.
    At least that’s what I did.

Gilbert Thanks for the reply. Is that a software package I can buy somewhere?

Russ

Post Thanks / Like

Google Panel Planner. There are several options.

Post Thanks / Like

You could import the panel from this post and calibrate it based on the border (or the instrument holes) and have something to work from.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to learn a little CAD so I took this on. You can convert a PDF to DXF using a site like https://www.zamzar.com/convert/pdf-to-dxf/ to simply get a file you can import but then you need to resize and re-orient it in a CAD program to be able to use it. I did the DXF conversion and then imported that into Fusion 360 and created a .step file after resizing it. It isn't perfect; its 48.002 x 11.999 but I think that should be close enough.

The DXF files are too large to attach here but I've attached a zipped .step file in case that helps. Again; the credit goes to taildraggerpilot who first posted his panel drawing here.
    Attached Files Attached Files