Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Whose STC is this? Are you using your annealed rivets on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Not annealing rivets... Working with Eddie Trimmer..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am curious why the plates on the spar web? Gross weight is already 2K lb.

Sent from my SM-N900V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

According to the DER the rear spar may not be strong enough if a wing tip is installed....Eddie and I have talked about this issue quite a bit.. I called Eddie yesterday morning... do I do the spar reinforcement or not? He told me yes...and if it isn’t necessary you’ve only added about 4 pounds per wing...It’s actually a little more than that. 4 lb 8 oz...not including the weight of the rivets and a few fasteners that need to be a bit longer.

Post Thanks / Like

One spar reinforcement done...

Post Thanks / Like

How about posting a synopsis of what your plan for this airplane is; gross weight, extended wings, modified controls, engine horse power, etc.?

How will it compare to the Bear Hawk you are building?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Lets see. Original gross weight was 1800. Service bulletin 35 increased the gross to 1950. Which is where it’ll stay. Before the right gear leg failed the empty weight was 1023 pounds. I’d have to revisit my old notes to accurately estimate where I made the weight trade offs. I do recall the electrical system less the starter, generator weight, plus the interior fabric panels and carpet weighed 84 pounds. Have installed the light weight starter -9 pounds, Plane power alternator -4.5 pounds...maybe. Battery is the small odyssey battery. Increased the boot cowl metal thickness to .032” so a pound or so there. Added 11 pounds with the Seaplane doors, +17 pounds for the PA18 landing gear. + a few pounds for the PA18 tail feathers. +22 pounds for the Crosswind STOL kit including the wing tips. I’d have to add up the aluminum weight for the Trimmer wing modification. Don’t know what that number is yet. The wing is length +3” over the stock pacer wing but with ribs instead of the wing tip bow....and longer spars.The Crosswind STOL tip are a good foot wide...will have to put a tape measure on the wings when it’s assembled to get an accurate measurement. Lets see...also lost weight on the panel. Deleted the DG and a clunky radio directional finder. I think the interior being fabric and kydex might weigh 15 pounds now. Installed the later model seats and tossed the bench seat...probably +5 pounds there. Don’t recall the weight difference with the Dakota cub fuel tanks over the original 18 gallon tanks.. The engine is a narrow deck O-320B2B with airforms inc baffles which are probably a touch heavier than the O290D baffles. leading edge exhaust is a couple pounds heavier than stock. I also added baffles around the fly’n wheel to reduce cooling drag...so I’m told. The skylight installation...+ something there....umm...199-62A wheels and brakes. 26” goodyears.. Trimmer says I’ll be around 1200 pounds +/-25 pounds...I’m hoping for 1150 pounds or less.

The Bearhawk is a beast compared to the Pacer. Should tip the scales at around 1400. Gross weight of 2700 pounds with a 300 horse big bore continental.

Last edited by mmoyle; 01-12-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So why do you need those 1/8” spar web reinforcements for a 1950# gw?
    If I remember correctly the Dakota Cub long Wing PA18 2200# GW. spars had reinforced spar webs but they weren’t that massive..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

I can’t say what the numbers are....the bending load on the rear spar is increased due to the additional leverage exerted on the rear spar inboard of the wing strut attach point by the outboard end of aileron being moved out to 160”....which is the same distance as the outer radius of the wing tip bow. When Eddie and I talked about the thickness of the spar reinforcement I thought .050” or .063” 2024T3 on both sides of the spar would have been sufficient. Eddie wanted 1/8”. Maybe his DER made that recommendation?

You’re not the only person that has asked me this... I’m tempted to buy the aeronautical engineering books to learn this stuff.. I can easily calculate bending loads on steel and aluminum if the dimensions are nominal or listed in one of my mechanical engineering books.... but this aircraft engineering stuff is beyond me.. I don’t have a good grasp of how air pressure acts at a given speed to calculate force or weight on the structure... I’m hoping Eddie’s DER can get his STC done...

If it doesn’t happen my fall back is to generate Cad drawings in Cadkey, send the drawings to a Boeing Engineer who owes an attorney friend in Stockton Ca...who gifted that debt to me... That attorney being Marc Bourget who I believe owns the Thorp experimental. Marc was partnered with John Thorp. Anyway...I’ve spoke with the Boeing engineer a few times...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    One spar reinforcement done...
    That makes my elbow hurt, especially when I see cordless drills in the background.