Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 14 of 57 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Have used the number 40 to clean the drill holes....predrilled spars...still waiting on different cad plated #4 steel screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Generator woes update. The John Deere is back on line....using nearly 1 gallon per hour less. We replaced one injector, head gasket and a few others. Started the engine...sounded normal. Ran for 12 hours. Shut down to change the oil filter and inspect the removed filter for metal....looked good. Upon restart....it immediately ran backwards...mechanic joined me outside in short order. He guessed 2700 rpm bassackwards. He made a few more calls....then replaced the remaining injectors... runs smoother...uses less fuel....savings of nearly $22k per year.. we're still trying to figure out how the fuel sample from nearly empty fuel filters was black....carbon sucked from the injectors and pushed into the filters from the common rail fuel pump....pumping air when it ran backwards?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Generator woes update. The John Deere is back on line....using nearly 1 gallon per hour less. We replaced one injector, head gasket and a few others. Started the engine...sounded normal. Ran for 12 hours. Shut down to change the oil filter and inspect the removed filter for metal....looked good. Upon restart....it immediately ran backwards...mechanic joined me outside in short order. He guessed 2700 rpm bassackwards. He made a few more calls....then replaced the remaining injectors... runs smoother...uses less fuel....savings of nearly $22k per year.. we're still trying to figure out how the fuel sample from nearly empty fuel filters was black....carbon sucked from the injectors and pushed into the filters from the common rail fuel pump....pumping air when it ran backwards?

Is the generator not fully disconnecting on shutdown so the diesel is shutting down under load and getting pulled backward prior to restart? They used to see this starting backwards a bit with old dozers if parked on an incline. Hopefully the running backward hasn't scored the internals since the oil pump typically isn't working when the engine is running backward. The injector timing will be all outa whack when running backward but shouldn't be sucking air. It likely sucked from the return line though which means it came from the bottom of the tank. If there was any sludge in the tank it sucked it backward through the filter. The exhaust is the intake and the intake is the exhaust when running backward so hopefully nothing melted.

Post Thanks / Like

When the generator is shut down....after running 3 minute...main breaker open. The computer stops sending trigger current to the injectors. The engine then shuts down. 1800 RPM to zero. John Deere believed number 1 injector stuck open after shut down...then later number three stuck open. There isn't any fuel head pressure on the engine... Tramont secondary fuel containment/day tank with an automated fuel level control is new. All fuel lines are new.... I hadn't thought about the fuel pump pulling fuel from the return line. It's a combination of 5052 1/4" with AN fittings to 3/8" steel pipe to the day tank... that might explain the excessive over speed. The return line dumps into the top of the day tank above the fuel level.... bet the engine sucked that line dry when it spun up backwards. I'm hoping the rods, mains and oil pump are not going to fail....there wasn't any metal in the oil filter so...... we'll see. According to John Deere this is the first 4045 to run backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Bit of an update... Steve Pierce sent the sleeves for the tube through the fuel tanks along with a used fuel tank sending unit... I'll be sending it to Electronics International Monday... they'll use it to make fuel sending units for use with the CGR-30P... this'll make it easier for others to make use of the fuel level function on the engine monitor for the PA 20 and PA22.

Today I installed a marine remote oil change pump on the John Deere 65kW genset. Was able to do the job w/o shutting down the generator as we had installed a valve and king nipple in place of the oil pan drain plug during the last oil change. I had just finished the job...not two seconds later the 1,600 hour new piece of *^#!?** genset made this nasty KNOCK KNOCK sound and shut down... the sound wasn't a bottom end sound.. was diesel ignition sound... like way the fetch out of time...as in advanced to far or an injector failed AGAIN! I'm beginning to think these things can't run on ultra low sulfur number one diesel...with lubricity additive. NOT HAPPY. Spend $25k on what is supposed to be a modern efficient generator... bad language I can't post!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch. Hope you find out what happened!

Post Thanks / Like

Me too... I've never wished for a rod failure..... I'd sure like to see a hole in the side of block on this thing. I think there are possibly one of two potential problems with the engine... it was assembled on a Monday or a Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh joy someone created another project for me! Loader bucket through the power pole with me in the bucket...

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, you lead just a little too exciting life than what I' used to.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...don't like that type of excitement.