Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Eddie did give me a bit of grief regarding the deviation yesterday when I spoke with him. STC should be issued by the first of the year. Eddie says this is his last STC...he's tired of.....the err difficulties

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,
    You have done enough changes/mods/work that you might want to put it in Experimental Amateur Homebuilt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Building a wing prior to an STC approval is probably about like building a certified wing prior to certification which would not be a legal certified wing. You are taking a risk if the STC doesn't get approved or the way you built yours.
    Steve not sure, but Alaska Float and Skis has a Pacer very similar if not exactly what Mark is doing.

Post Thanks / Like

And two others that I know of.

There are a few differences between what I'm doing and Eddie's wing. First is the spar splices, aileron and flap spar splices, trailing edge splices. Single flap hinge per flap. Wing tip.... which I'm a bit concerned about... I feel the need for the wing tips with the fence...a squared off wing tip will reduce the effectiveness of the outboard end of the aileron. If the wing tip can't be installed.... will need to get some engineering help with spar reinforcement.

Nothing in my wing build is spliced together, the leading edge and false spar metals are .020" not the original .016" The additional flap hinge per flap is an insurance policy. I have on occasion pulled the first notch of flap above the white arc on the airspeed indicator.

I think the only other modifications that are non standard is the seat belt retractor mounts, belly pan at the tail, additional structure at the tail, the entry steps I added to the landing gear duplicating the re-fueling step, USB power supply for the Stratus 2 and iPad, fly pad mount, dual impulse couplers, starter solenoid, key/start switch, and a switch operated master solenoid. It's still a Pacer.

I will be moving the access to the aileron turn buckles/flap mechanism. Instead of round or rectangular covers on the bottom side of the wing I'll modify the tank bay false spar to gain access through it with flush covers. And where ever I can...install counter sunk nut plates and flush rivets.

The stall fence mount structure will differ from what Charlie Center supplied with the leading edge cuff kit...and I haven't decided if I'll install Charlie's gap seals... if I do they'll need drain holes... can imagine a rain shower...then freezing temperatures... not good.

One big reason I'll not take the experimental route is insurance... can't insure any experimental aircraft in Alaska....if is moving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk