Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 29 of 57 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Platinum Pacer Wings

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Platinum Pacer Wings

Fuel tank covers, inspection plates, boot cowl and engine cowl don't corrode if you paint them. With the tight clearance with the flap and the and the propensity for things to move when fabric is shrunk I would stick with how Piper did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve,
    Wondered if anyone had tried it. I’ve fit the gap seal, secured with the number four stainless screws along the bottom of the gap seal. Will wait until the wings and flaps are covered and painted. Install the wings and flaps on the fuselage...set the gap....last thing will be to drill holes on the top side of the gap seal and false spar for the number four screws.
    Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Left stall fence and mounting channel fabricated. Next to add nut plates and leading edge skins.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the stall fence go on after the fabric? Wondering how you would stitch the fabric to that fence support otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work, how is your back doing. It is hurting mine just looking at the pictures, bringing back memories. I will be curious about your new empty weight???? Maybe, you should just calculate the weight so you might gain useful load. Lol
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Does the stall fence go on after the fabric? Wondering how you would stitch the fabric to that fence support otherwise.
    Yes, goes on after... hadn’t planned on stitching the channel. May add some 3/8” channel gussets to hold it in place during the shrinking process. At some point after shrinking the fabric, when I’m certain the nut plates line up with the stall fence, I’ll work glue through fabric....only need to add masking tape to one edge of the channel...will have a one inch wide surface to glue the fabric to the channel. I did obtain Charlie Center’s blessing on this modification prior to this...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Beautiful work, how is your back doing. It is hurting mine just looking at the pictures, bringing back memories. I will be curious about your new empty weight???? Maybe, you should just calculate the weight so you might gain useful load. Lol
    Thank you... bit of muscle soreness ...1/4 cap full of Arnica 30X before bed...zero pain this morning. Weight...didn’t use the stall fence mounting brackets that came with the STOL kit. My stall fence mounting version adds 10 ounces of aluminum per wing...it’s much more ridged.. I’m not adding the 3/16” thick foam strip to the bottom of the fence.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Platinum Pacer Wings

Working on leading edge metal and mounting the wing tip. On the wing tip...aligned the trailing edge...creates a gap on the leading edge but....the Crosswind STOL leading edge cuffs use a small flow fence to hide the open end...it’ll hide that gap. Will remake the small flow fence to fit better.

Last edited by mmoyle; 02-20-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Closer and closer....remade the fuel tank cover and back riveted...included a picture of the back rivet plate, special tape and the river driver. The Dakota Cub cover would have been fine had I not gone with flush fit on the trailing edge of it. Made the fuel tank leading edge from 2024T3...have both .020" and .025" on hand...decided upon more durable. Had quite a time finding center on each countersunk nut plate.. When I do the right wing will fit the tank cover to the leading edge and tank bay false spar after they are fit and fastened....then drill the tank cover and underlying metal...disassemble and install the nut plates. Need to finish up the landing light leading edge and fit the leading edge cuff.

Post Thanks / Like

PROBLEM..... I think? Fitting the leading edge cuff today. Noticed the 3 tank bay ribs are bent down nearly 3/8”. All the remaining full size ribs have approximately 3/16” concave. The only way I can see to fix the problem is to remove the angle bracket I’m pointing to on an old tank bay rib. Make new angles, rivet to the bottom of the rib... then jack the trailing end of each rib up... then drill the rivet holes...I’ll have to remake the tank bay false spar... butt what duh hay... will only need to make the same part twice!