Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Student Help - PA22 - Charts, Pattern, and Airspeed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Student Help - PA22 - Charts, Pattern, and Airspeed

Yes my dad is Alan and it’s his plane, since he cut the check for it though I fly it more than he does right now. HAHA

I do want to come over and hang, but I would rather fly than drive. But with the winter already here that’s a night flight and let’s face it KW52 is just a bit scary at night. We’ll see if sometime we can’t get out there.

Who has that pretty red and white Piper that looks like it came from the factory? We met someone from the group at KSPB getting fuel sometime in the spring/early summer.

Our current A&P is Bob out of Gig Harbor, good guy; like him a lot he and my dad is the annual on the plane when we first got her. Dad used to have an A&P license when he worked out of Friday Harbor but that was 30+ years ago. But your right that plane is rather funny, it has odd little quirks, like even if the engine is hot you have to prime it or it refuses to start.

I have found from my experiences with the Chinese students from HIO they like to talk on the radio; they talk and tell you every little detail that you as the other pilot don’t need to know, while I am trying to get in to make a call out so I can land. They came into KKLS last week while I was out working the right pattern; it was fun to watch them come in with those two low wing twins.

Unlike most student pilots I am not scared of the radio; though I am a little leery about ATC but Frost (my ground CFI at Aero) said the same thing that you did, just tell them you’re a student pilot and they will play nice with the new kid.

---

I am not too worried about taking two steps forward and three steps back, life got in the way of flying and I didn’t get to even touch the plane in two months. So when we got back in I just looked at my CFI Terry with a big question mark over my head like an idiot and admitted I didn’t remember how to even start the plane. Which was embarrassing, so the last few times all we have been doing is revisiting stuff.

As for rudder work, our piper as interconnects on it.

--

Plan and simple I need to fly more, I know that’s the only cure for my landings.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to a wonderful world of short wings.

The most useful things I learned as a student were:
    1. Aviate--keep the plane flying first and foremost
    2. Navigate--steer clear of obstacles, then figure out where you are
    3. Comunicate--last of all. Important, but still in #3 position

The plane can take wind...it is frequently the pilot who gets fatigued or stressed. Bumps are uncomfortable, but the plane can take them

Believe the weather forecast when "Sigmets" are forecast. Go WAY around, or stay on the ground.

For Weight and Balance, feel free to download and modify this WB Spreadsheet. It is protected but not passworded. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By2...ew?usp=sharing

My Tripacer, also a 150, has an auxiliary tank. To use the spreadsheet just put 0 in the Aux tank unless you have one.

Happy Landings.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Ms Hester, Your dad's A&P does not expire. If he has a current medical, his A&P should show up in the data base. He can get a new certificate, $2.

Post Thanks / Like

2856P also has a aux tank but its always empty since its really only there for cross country. Its only 8 gallons so its not even a full hour of flight time and I wouldn't bank on it for my +30 or +45 for regs.

And yes if the weather is even remotely questionable I just stay home, my CFI lost his father due to bad weather over the Puget Sound. No flight is wroth that risk imo, I rather delay then never arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay,

-shrugs- its more of we do not have the space to annual a plane, we don't have a hanger. Sometimes even though you can do something yourself do to time and space available its just easier to pay someone to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freya Hester View Post
    2856P also has a aux tank but its always empty since its really only there for cross country. Its only 8 gallons so its not even a full hour of flight time and I wouldn't bank on it for my +30 or +45 for regs.

And yes if the weather is even remotely questionable I just stay home, my CFI lost his father due to bad weather over the Puget Sound. No flight is wroth that risk imo, I rather delay then never arrive.
    Thanks for update. I'd never had an "aux" tank in anything since I owned a VW Bus! I love the tank, and "only 8 gallons" is nearly an hour of inflight time at 2300RPM. I used it on my purchase trip flying N7750D back from Michigan to Maine, and it is really neat to watch the RIGHT tank go from just under 1/2 to full again in about 15 minutes.

I lost TWO CFI's over the years, both friends and good pilots. One was Ron Twitchell, at Turner Maine, who crashed with a student after trying to take off in a Cessna 170 with frost on the wings, and the other was Stephen Bean, in Rangeley Maine, who flew into terrain on a dark night descending to the airport after seeing the runway lights, and hit a mountain top. Both of them are STILL teaching me, and I once refused to fly in a Cessna 207 in Alaska until the pilot de-iced the wings. I like to be safe. I miss those two CFI's. Sorry they're gone, but their lessons live on. Here is the NTSB Final report. The accident in Turner is not available in the NTSB database. Reading accident reports, though possibly a bit macabre, is also educational.

Safe landings.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob; 11-09-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I lost my friend and CFI Kirt Schade, he taught me to shave in the shower so I did not have to stand in the cold while shaving, and how to fly Multi Engine to a commercial level. More of a brother than and instructor.
    The old man that taught me lot, was Dick Shubrick best weather guy ever. In the '20s his instructor told him he should learn about the weather, because "if he few only when the weather was good he would not fly too much, and if he flew when the weather was bad he wouldn't fly too long". He was 82 when he died.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Freya,
    One For Papa has the aux tank, I like to use it for longer flights if loads and temps make sense.
    We have a ton of tools and equipment in our Bravo Three hangars at KHIO so when you need to replace bungees or other stuff that might be nice indoors with a crane, compressor, etc. give us a shout.
    KHIO even has a wash rack so when you need to clean up that bird end of summer it's open to the public.

See ya round the pattern,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"