Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wing tip slates/end plates

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing tip slates/end plates

What is the benefit of using splates/end plates that I have seen in pictures of various high wing Piper aircraft. Is there a manufacturer of these? Regarding installation, are they mounted directly next to the ailerons thus eliminating the bow? Or is a wing extention necessary? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wing tip slates/end plates

Depends on the STC. I have seen them just OB of the aileron and on an extension 2 rib bays OB of the aileron.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea on who sells the STC or kit? What are the benefits of a splate over other wingtip mods? They seem to be used quite a bit on Cubs/Cruisers. It appears to be a rather simple design. Would also be interested to know how the Pacer would handle with a splate right after the aileron further clipping down the wings length further.

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose of plates on the end of the wing would be to reduce induced drag. This is also done and probably more effectively with drooped or hoerner tips. The Sullivan hoerner tip is a good choice. I do not know of an STC to put plates on. Maybe, it has been done with a field approval. Shortening the wing has little advantage and will increase stall speeds and shorten glide. I would not count on increased cruise speed. Longer wings will slightly increase downward pitching moment which will offset some or all of the increased drag.

What is your goal?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They were installed via field approval many years ago on my brothers Super Cub instead of droop tips that were called out in the STC to square the wing off. We took them back to stock. Aileron responce was not as good as the stock wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They were installed via field approval many years ago on my brothers Super Cub instead of droop tips that were called out in the STC to square the wing off. We took them back to stock. Aileron responce was not as good as the stock wing.
    This is the downside of any mod to the wing tips when adding wing area outboard of the ailerons. You gain lift and improve low speed characteristics but, lose roll rate. Stock wing tips on a short wing have a nice roll rate and look good. They also have an impressive sink rate. Check out several existing STC's if you want to change your wing tips. Stewart's, X winds, Sullivan and more. I don't think you will find an STC with plates.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the education.