Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Modification

Quote Originally Posted by Just Call Me Al View Post
    There are four AN5 through bolts sandwiching the two spar strut attach fittings #11755 that will be left empty when the fitting is removed and the new ones shifted outboard.
    If it concerns you, put a short bolt with washers and a nut. But, nothing is needed.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Brent Taylor, Antique Airplane Association (http://www.antiqueairfield.com/) was involved with getting the orphaned information released as was Greg Herrick ,(http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/owner/owner.htm). They can probably provide more information.
    Brent & Greg took it all the way to SCOTUS and prevailed over the FAA. There is an Order or AC out now that outlines how to get data from orphaned TCs and STCs. Typical bureaucratic BS, it still takes about 5 years to get them to release anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are four AN5 through bolts sandwiching the two spar strut attach fittings #11755 that will be left empty when the fitting is removed and the new ones shifted outboard.
    I checked my wing today.

The bottom bolt hole gets covered by the angle aluminum reinforcing. The second hole from the top is used for a new compression strut. The other holes are left open. This is for both the fore an aft spars.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Installing the new longerons.

I ran the lower longerons almost to the tail.

You can see the attachment method with the internal tube liner and scarf joint as per STC.

Also, the upper realignment of the longerons.
    Which STC are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chicobushmaster View Post
    Which STC are you using?
    There is only one Bushmaster (sometimes called a Super Pacer) STC. It is owned by Audrey Simpson and she sells it for $1000. I have a CD with all the drawings. There is another STC for a stretched Pacer called the Producer. They are similar but, the owner of the Producer does not sell plans. They will build the Producer for you. They are both good planes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Reading the STC, it uses PA-22 ailerons moved to most outboard extent. You used PA-18 length ailerons at same station, why did you decide to do this?
    I have looked at several experimental long wing Pacers in Alaska, and they have had Pacer length ailerons. I think several of them are built to Blanton plans. I spoke to one owner and he stated that he had never noticed an issue with PA-22 ailerons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a bit spoiled when it comes to ailerons having learned to fly in a Clipper that uses Cub ailerons (longer than Tri-Pacer) and a short wing. I have run out of aileron in the Pacer/Tri-Pacer. In the Dakota Cub slotted winged Pacer which uses stock length, squared off and the ailerons moved out to the ends and longer flaps I never felt like I ran out of aileron even flying in extreme spring winds in Texas.

When I flew Steve Bryant's Producer I was very impressed with the aileron effectiveness and feel. It uses a PA12/14 wing and aileron if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the STC, it uses PA-22 ailerons moved to most outboard extent. You used PA-18 length ailerons at same station, why did you decide to do this?
    I have looked at several experimental long wing Pacers in Alaska, and they have had Pacer length ailerons. I think several of them are built to Blanton plans. I spoke to one owner and he stated that he had never noticed an issue with PA-22 ailerons.
    The STC has no drawings that specify the aileron size for the Bushmaster. There are two options for flaps, which concludes two options for ailerons. I made a Super Cub aileron by splicing ailerons together, using the same splicing technique specified in the drawing for the flaps. Based on advice from an experience Bushmaster builder and friend on the original developers of the STC who had built Bushmasters both ways, I installed a full length (102") super cub size aileron. And, then filled in the remaining distance (93") with flap. The longer flap, shorter aileron option created too much flap with little benefit and a poorer roll rate.

The aileron on my Bushmaster is farther outboard of the aileron on a stock SC, giving a better roll rate and also has half again more flap than a Super Cub.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-06-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

In the STC on Drawing 2000 3 of 4, Section C-C, B-B and Detail IX, it specifies cutting and splicing the aileron and flap supports with P/N 2000-30, Angle-Splice to comply with Note 3, Shorten aileron & flap support to maintain hinge axis within ±0.010". This is called out on only the Piper PN# 12474-02, and 10703-02 support assemblies. Did you find this necessary to do?

Section B-B.jpgSection C-C.jpgDetail IX.gif

Post Thanks / Like

In the STC on Drawing 2000 3 of 4, Section C-C, B-B and Detail IX, it specifies cutting and splicing the aileron and flap supports with P/N 2000-30, Angle-Splice to comply with Note 3, Shorten aileron & flap support to maintain hinge axis within ±0.010". This is called out on only the Piper PN# 12474-02, and 10703-02 support assemblies. Did you find this necessary to do?

Section B-B.jpgSection C-C.jpgDetail IX.gif
    Shortening the flap and aileron hinge brackets was due to adding the reinforcement to the rear spar. I think, I decided that it was not a factor. But, you should set it up and determine if it makes a difference in your project.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-13-2019 at 03:30 AM.