Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) Modification

Quote Originally Posted by AKJurnee View Post
    Looks good!

Question: what's the reason for the extra drag/anti drag wires in that bay?
    Thanks,

It seems to be engineering overkill to me. The similar Producer uses a PA 14 wing as I understand. I know some who have built experimental Bushmaster's don't do this or all the spar reinforcing.

Since, I am doing the STC I will follow the plans (mostly). Plus I figure my plane will be aerobatic. ��
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Wood Lake in the Okanagan Valley B C Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures Stephen! The Super Pacer has a GVW increase to 2100 lbs.The double compression struts and drag wires in the outer bay is designed to stop the wing from twisting, because the PA 18 aileron is moved out to the end of the wing.
    Last edited by Fisherman; 12-12-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: mistake

Post Thanks / Like

I believe piper Pawnees have the double brace wires. I built an experimental bushmaster years ago. If you work as fast as me, you will be working on this project next winter and the next too. Took me 5 years. built Bigger stronger wings, lengthened fuselage, seaplane doors,skylight, longer motor mount(cg), fabricate new cowling, built bigger tail, cover and paint.

I had a flying Pa-22 that I kept flying, bought stripped down undamaged fuselage and started building. When I got done sold my Tripacer and paid off my credit cards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Great pictures Stephen! The Super Pacer has a GVW increase to 2100 lbs.The double compression struts and drag wires in the outer bay is designed to stop the wing from twisting, because the PA 18 aileron is moved out to the end of the wing.
    That is interesting. I know Dakota Cub has a squared off wing with the aileron moved out and lengthened flap. I know Mark (owner of DC) tested the wing in his wiffle tree, I will have to ask hime about this. His wing appears to be built like any other Piper wing with single wires but does have doublers on the wing spar web at the strut attach fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
    Adding the extra bracing was not a big deal, it took about a day to install. This wing also has 18 ribs (Andy, the green painted ribs came from your Pacer, thanks) and full span full leading edge. This is a stout wing. I plan to make my own outter leading edge from .016 2024 T3.

Colin, does the GW increase only apply to the seaplane?

Post Thanks / Like

The STC was issued a new operating manual that increases the GW to 2100 lbs in all configurations. The PA22 is type approved on Edo 2000 float but the airplane is limited to 2000 lbs because of the float size. To get the full GW you would have to go to the larger floats. Edo 2440 and PK 2300 are also approved on the Super Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, It looks great ! Good Work. - Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airwrench View Post
    Stephen, It looks great ! Good Work. - Steve
    Thanks Steve,

Colin reminded me that the PA 14 wing (used in the Producer) also has double compression struts in the outter bay although, does not double the drag wires. The PA 18 wing used in the Super Pacer does not have the extra support. Moving the ailerons out board increases the twisting moment to the wing, extra support is important.
    Last edited by Stephen; 12-16-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Stephen that the design is probably over kill. I believe that Jimmy Simpson was trying to get a gross weight increase when they designed the original Super Pacer. That is why it is over designed and they only got a 100 lb increase in the GW. The home built version (Bushmaster) in most cases use a GW of 2400 lbs on 2400 plastic floats. They have the same spar design and perform very well at the increased weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work, will this one be experimental or did you end up buying the STC?